Removing Ranorex Plugin References

Class library usage, coding and language questions.
SteveBeck

Removing Ranorex Plugin References

Post by SteveBeck » Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:08 am

Hi,

I want to use the Selenium Libraries as the built in Selenium Compatibility does not meet my requirements.
At the moment I am using an extern alias to allow me to have the Selenium Reference but I would rather just remove the Ranorex.Plugin.Webdriver. The problem is that Ranorex adds it back to the RXSLN on opening. Is there a way I can remove it permanently.

The reason I want to use the regular Selenium Library is that there seems to be less functionality in Ranorex's Webdriver DLL ie. No Chrome support (It tells me I'm missing a reference if I try to use Chrome features.)

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Re: Removing Ranorex Plugin References

Post by odklizec » Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:29 am

Hi,

I believe it's not possible to remove Ranorex references from the solution. Additionally, I think that by removing Ranorex webdriver, you would lose selenium support in Ranorex, no matter you add regular Selenium lib.
Last edited by odklizec on Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pavel Kudrys
Ranorex explorer at Descartes Systems

Please add these details to your questions:
  • Ranorex Snapshot. Learn how to create one >here<
  • Ranorex xPath of problematic element(s)
  • Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

krstcs

Post by krstcs » Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:00 pm

Ranorex only works with the pre-packaged WebDriver configuration. You cannot use anything else.

Also, my installation works fine with Chrome using the built-in WD support. Perhaps you have a corrupt install?
Shortcuts usually aren't...

SteveBeck

Post by SteveBeck » Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:00 am

Thanks for the replies, I was just hoping there would be a legitimate system for including / excluding plugins.

Just to clarify, my team are all well versed in Selenium itself and our way of work is such that Selenium works better for us than Ranorex's systems. I have managed to surpress Ranorex Webdriver library and have included all of the Selenium packages. I have also set up my own libraries which we use to tie Selenium into the Ranorex framework. So it really wasnt a question of possibility, but rather one of convenience.

The things that turned me off Ranorex selenium were the reduced power of the library, and systems like the endpoints, when Selenium is more than capable of creating its own server on the fly.

krstcs

Post by krstcs » Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:50 pm

OK, maybe I should rephrase, because, sure, Ranorex can integrate with anything that is .NET-based: Ranorex (the company) only SUPPORTS using the built-in mechanism. Your use of anything else may not be supported, just so you know.

Good luck with it, and let us know how it goes, others (and the Ranorex team) might be interested!
Shortcuts usually aren't...

Dan.Z

Post by Dan.Z » Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:22 am

Hi Steve,

I am trying to do the same thing, but I have an issue and I was hoping you can help me. I added the selenium web driver library and every time I am using ranorex studio I remove the ranorex web driver plugin and everything works fine. The issue is when I want to run from command prompt, I have a script to delete the plugin and then I am building the solution and it works, but when I try to run the test it gives me an error that it failed to load default plugins. Can you please help me bypass this issue so I can run the tests from jenkins?