Report Level issues

Bug reports.
tallahassee101

Report Level issues

Post by tallahassee101 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:52 pm

I've noticed the new Ranorex 3.1 has the ability to change the report level. However this does not seem very helpful the way that it is implemented since it only allows you to change the report level from a module/test suite level rather than an Action level. The useful case would be to set the report level of a specific action that has been found to have some defect in the software. Once the defect has been found by the ranorex test it may be weeks before it is fixed, during the interim it would be useful to change the action(s) that cause this defect to only generate a warning.

Additionally it would be helpful to modify report levels on specific errors/warnings. The most annoying one we get is "Unbound Variables", our test suites have unbound variables in half the tests and this is by design, we don't want all our tests throwing up warnings about something we know about.

Maybe some of this can be done and I am not seeing how to do it, if so I apologize and ask for some guidance.

Thank you for your attentiveness to these issues.

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Report Level issues

Post by Support Team » Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:23 am

Hi,
However this does not seem very helpful the way that it is implemented since it only allows you to change the report level from a module/test suite level rather than an Action level.
You can manually do that. When such an action is added a Report.Log(...) method is also added, so you can convert this action to UserCode and then you can edit this "Report.Log" method. You can set the "ReportLevel" to the value you are preferring for the specific action.
But i will forward this request, maybe we can add a additional setting.
The most annoying one we get is "Unbound Variables", our test suites have unbound variables in half the tests and this is by design
I think this warning is very useful for many testers and it is also taken by design. But we will also discuss it.

Regards,
Markus
Ranorex Support Team

tallahassee101

Post by tallahassee101 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:18 pm

Thank you for taking this ideas into consideration, it would be very helpful to be able to control more aspects of the error logging. Converting large portions of our tests to user code for the explicit use of modify the error level is not a feasible solution.

tallahassee101

Post by tallahassee101 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:49 pm

This continues to be an outstanding issue that is greatly affecting our ability to track defects in our software. Has this issue been looked at and is user code still the only solution?

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Support Team » Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:44 pm

Hi,

the user code method is still the only solution.
But the feature is already tracked within out bug tracking tool.

Regards,
Tobias
Ranorex Team