Report Template Folder - file path is too long exception

Ranorex Spy, Recorder, and Studio.
nachbar

Report Template Folder - file path is too long exception

Post by nachbar » Fri May 10, 2019 9:46 am

Greetings!

I encountered some issue with using custom report template which is located outside the specific project folder, since solution contains many projects and I would like to use one template for all projects. However relative path for example \..\..\Tools\Template in Test Suite properties -> Report tab->Report Template does not work and produce report failure at the beginning of test run:

"The report file or directory could not be created. The specified path, file name, or both are too long. The fully qualified file name must be less than 260 characters, and the directory name must be less than 248 characters".

What's more the absolute path, wherever the template is, works fine, for every projects and directories path tree certainly does not exceed 260 characters. Did anyone have such issue or have some clue how to resolve it? Thanks for any help in advance.

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Re: Report Template Folder - file path is too long exception

Post by odklizec » Mon May 13, 2019 7:54 am

Hi,

I think the proper solution of the problem is adding template files to source control system of your choice and simply make them a part of test (as an externally loaded project)? Also, I would personally avoid using Document&Settings, Desktop and similar obscure dirs, for storing project files, which only makes the destination path unnecessary long. Basically, the project is always stored in source control system so it should not matter where on PC the project is really located? I'm using C:\TA dir as a storage and starting point of all my test solutions and I follow this pattern also on all Jenkins slave machines. If for nothing else, it makes the life much easier in case I want to run something from command line ;)
Pavel Kudrys
Ranorex explorer at Descartes Systems

Please add these details to your questions:
  • Ranorex Snapshot. Learn how to create one >here<
  • Ranorex xPath of problematic element(s)
  • Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration