Repository is so painful

Ask general questions here.
hoanglz

Repository is so painful

Post by hoanglz » Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:27 pm

:cry:
Dear boss,
1. My application has around 765 element (picture 1)
2. I see that Ranorex Spy organize all the elements in tree view (picture 2)
3. When I add the root (include children element), the element was display in a very ugly way (picture 3)

I understand that with xPath and create directory for child note is a solution. But it is so painful, a lot of control out there.
After update the Repository, I even can not find where is my control in the huge list of element.

My question is: is there any way for picture 3 AUTOMATICALLY has the same organization as picture 2?
Maybe this is the second time I ask the one (same) question about Repository. But...

:cry: :cry: :cry:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Repository is so painful

Post by Support Team » Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:21 pm

Hi hoanglz!
Why do you want to add all items from the whole form to your repository?

Typically you don`t need all items of an application in the repository. You should only add elements which you want to use for testing/automation. Otherwise the repository structure is getting very complex.
My question is: is there any way for picture 3 AUTOMATICALLY has the same organization as picture 2?
Maybe this is the second time I ask the one (same) question about Repository. But...
The element representation requirements (i.e. tree structure) for a repository are different as for Ranorex Spy e.g. imagine you have an application(form) with very deep subitems (subitems of subitems). Accessing such an element will be very expensive.

However, in the upcoming Ranorex version there will be nested Root-Folders allowed that means you get a better organized repository structure.

Regards,
Christian
Ranorex Support Team

hoanglz

Re: Repository is so painful

Post by hoanglz » Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:16 am

Hi Christian,
Our application is quiet complex. It has a lot con configurations and many controls need to be checked status.
Support Team wrote: Typically you don`t need all items of an application in the repository. You should only add elements which you want to use for testing/automation. Otherwise the repository structure is getting very complex.
Checking every subitems of subitems manually is very painful, that why we think about applying automation test tool.
Support Team wrote: The element representation requirements (i.e. tree structure) for a repository are different as for Ranorex Spy e.g. imagine you have an application(form) with very deep subitems (subitems of subitems). Accessing such an element will be very expensive.
Ya, this feature should be implemented
Support Team wrote:However, in the upcoming Ranorex version there will be nested Root-Folders allowed that means you get a better organized repository structure.
Best regards,
Hoang.