Repository Items found in spy but not in test

Technology specific object identification, supported applications, web technologies, and 3rd party controls.
e.lunzer

Repository Items found in spy but not in test

Post by e.lunzer » Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:39 pm

Hi,
Several elements of my repository are found if i highlight them via the spy. If i run the test, the elements aren't found anymore. They used to work in the test but a few days ago they stopped working and I don't know why especially since they can be highlighted from the repository.

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Repository Items found in spy but not in test

Post by Support Team » Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:04 pm

Hi,

Which Ranorex version do you use? Do you run the tests on your local machine or on a remote machine? Maybe there is a problem with the timeout? What does the RxPath look like when you highlight the elements in repository and when tracking them during test? Are there dynamic changes in the path during test?

Regards,
Larissa
Ranorex Support Team

e.lunzer

Post by e.lunzer » Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:06 pm

I am using version 3.3.1.18438 and I am running the tests on my local machine. I also set it to have a 5 minute timeout and it is still unable to find the items. The RxPath is the same when I highlight elements in the repository and when I am tracking them during the test. As far as dynamic changes in the path go, there are a few but I already have regular expressions in place to handle those.
Like I said in the original post, this test had been working for a few weeks and then a few days after I updated to the newest version of ranorex it stopped working.

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Support Team » Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:31 pm

Hi,

Which .Net version do you use? Ranorex needs a full/extended .Net version to work correctly.

Regards,
Larissa
Ranorex Support Team

e.lunzer

Post by e.lunzer » Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:17 pm

When I click on 'Help' and then 'About' it gives me the following information:

Ranorex Studio
Version 3.3.1.18438
.NET Runtime Version 4.0.30319.269

Installed License: Using license server mntwatlasapp01

Machine Name: (I doubt you need this)

And like I said, my test had been working perfectly until a few days after I updated to the newest version of Ranorex and I didn't make any changes to my code or recording modules between when the test was running perfectly and when it stopped finding the elements on runtime.

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Support Team » Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:55 am

Hi,

The version number doesn't reveal anything about the "level" of your .Net version. Please have a look at your control panel - programs and features. Search for Microsoft .NET Framework 4.0 next to this there should be written client/full/extended... If your version is no full or extended version, please make an update.

Regards,
Larissa
Ranorex Support Team

j.early

Post by j.early » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:48 am

I came across this issue and I think I have resolved it.

Ensure your Repo in in a logical order, any form or windows that should be part of main application may be sitting outside it, having a different base path from each other.

For example,

one button could be ref a base path of Test1 where as another button, in the same form could have a base path of Test2, so they wont be found if your ref Test1 fore the 2nd button.

Hope that make sense and it works for you.

regards
J

KAB

Post by KAB » Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:29 pm

Just going to continue on this topic, as I don't see any solution to it (not that works for me at least).

First my test machine installed components:
Ranorex 3.3.3.19655
Microsoft .NET Framework 4 {Client Profile; Extended; Multi-Targeting Pack}

The current issue I have, is that I get 2 popup forms where I need to press OK (just like windows in the older days if you wanted to delete something).
I have made a recording, and if I play that recording (alone - open the recording and use the play button in the .rxrec file) it works fine.
If I create a test case in the suite (.rxtst) and insert the recording.rxrec it fails to find the second popup form.
If I stop the test when it fails to find the popup form, the popup form is there and visible and in focus, and testing if the repository (.rxrep) item can be found, it highlights it just fine.

So what are the finer details I'm missing, and what is the difference between running the recording.rxrec alone and the same recording.rxrec through the suite.rxtst?

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Support Team » Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:05 pm

Hi,

There shouldn't be any differences if everything was installed correctly.
Did you install all prerequisites which are mentioned on the following site: System Requirements?
Could you send us the two RxPaths and two Ranorex snapshot files of the elements?
Did you really just use the recording which was created with the Recorder or did you edit anything?
Could you also send us the report file of the failed recording?
Did you use the 32 bit or the 64 bit version of the Recorder?
If you like you can send the files to our support mail address: [email protected].

Regards,
Markus

KAB

Post by KAB » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:40 pm

and the word od the day is "Odd". :?

The problem is no longer there. I haven't changed anything in the recording, and I haven't even restartet Ranorex or the Pc between the failure and no failure. I'm puzzled to say the least, but glad the issue has gone away, and I'll get back to this if it returns.

Just to answer some of the questions Markus had:
Support Team wrote:There shouldn't be any differences if everything was installed correctly.
Did you install all prerequisites which are mentioned on the following site: System Requirements?
Could you send us the two RxPaths and two Ranorex snapshot files of the elements?
Did you really just use the recording which was created with the Recorder or did you edit anything?
Could you also send us the report file of the failed recording?
Did you use the 32 bit or the 64 bit version of the Recorder?
- yes, all prereq. according to the requirements are installed.
- Yes I really just used the recording as I had made it, I hadn't edited anything (and especially not between playing the recording alone and through the test suite).
- I used the 32 bit recorder (at least I remember it that way)