researching functional test automation tools - Object recogn

Ranorex Spy, Recorder, and Studio.
vthomeschoolmom

researching functional test automation tools - Object recogn

Post by vthomeschoolmom » Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:04 pm

So I am comparing tools. Right now the candidates are Coded UI, Ranorex and TestComplete. Given a choice, most folks seem to prefer Ranorex. My biggest concern is object recognition. Can someone point me to the reference on what techniques to get Ranorex to recognize objects and their children if they are not readily recognized. For instance, there is a popup menu whose individual items are not recognizable cause a need to click on coordinates. This does not a stable or portable test make!

Does anyone have a link to a resource for object recognition in Ranorex? Thanks

Stephanie

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Re: researching functional test automation tools - Object recogn

Post by odklizec » Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:46 am

Hi Stephanie,

Basically, Ranorex uses MSAA technology for object recognition. If the controls that cannot be recognized are developed by your developers, you will have to ask them to implement MSAA properly.

If the elements that cannot recognized are out of your control (typically 3rd party GUI controls), you can always try to enable GDI technology. This is good mainly for legacy applications, but it may help also with new apps without proper MSAA implementation. Additionally, Ranorex supports also image recognition and you can even combine object and image-based recognition steps in the same test! So in case some objects cannot be recognized, you are not limited to just coordinate-based automation.
Pavel Kudrys
Ranorex explorer at Descartes Systems

Please add these details to your questions:
  • Ranorex Snapshot. Learn how to create one >here<
  • Ranorex xPath of problematic element(s)
  • Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration