Restricting Licenses

Ask general questions here.
philipp.s

Restricting Licenses

Post by philipp.s » Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:14 pm

Hello

I did found a Post on this Topic. But that does not really help me out.
running-the-license-server-on-the-internet-t13313.html

My Team is managing a centralized License server for our company. The Server is only reachable from within the company's network.
The Teams would buy licenses themselves and we would add them to the server. This Topic is getting really important since we have more and more teams that want to use Ranorex and do it through our license server. Being able to manage the distribution of the floating licenses is key for that. The most easiest way would be via IP Whitelisting directly on the floating licenses.

We are not willing to setup up a virtual machine per Team that wants to use Ranorex since the company has around 20k employees and many many Teams. If there would be a possibility to have the License Manager on linux, then having containers per team would be also an option.
I think this kind of request is not out of the ordinary since having a lot of Windows Servers just to host a couple of licenses is a waste of resources.

Best Regards
Philipp

tmcdoniel
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Re: Restricting Licenses

Post by tmcdoniel » Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:36 pm

Although it would be unsupported by Ranorex you could attempt to see if the license manager could run under Linux Wine as it is likely a bit less complex compared to the studio. I don't know if it would work, but it might be something to try.
Sales Engineer @ Ranorex