run a test case – when each of its test steps (can be recording or other) runs on a different machine,

Ask general questions here.
shaked81

run a test case – when each of its test steps (can be recording or other) runs on a different machine,

Post by shaked81 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:55 am

Hi,

We are using Ranorex 8.1 (company name: Enghouse Interactive).

Is it possible to run a test case – when each of its test steps (can be recording or other) runs on a different machine, and only when the last test step completed successfully then the test case is completed successfully? Actually – we need to have some way to synchronize between test steps across multiple machines, within a single logic test case.

Take this simplified scenario for instance, for a test case:
1. Test step 1 – open IE browser and browse to google.com on Machine #1 (ip:10.0.0.1)
2. Test step 2 – open Chrome browser and browse to google.com on Machine #2 (ip:10.0.0.2)
3. Test step 3 – close Chrome browser on Machine #2 (ip:10.0.0.2)
4. Test step 4 – close IE browser on Machine #1 (ip:10.0.0.1)
So, only when test step #4 was completed successfully, then the test case is marked as successfully executed.
Please note: Test step #4, can start only when Test step #3 has completed, so we need to "know" when test step #3 has completed, before running #4

Questions:
• Is that functionality can be achieved using only Ranorex?
• Can it be achieved integrating with other supported tools? (It doesn't make any sense to break those to single execution tests and use CI tools like Jenkins to run it)

This is crucial for us to understand the answer ASAP, as it has a business effect.

Regards,

Shaked Karta

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Re: run a test case – when each of its test steps (can be recording or other) runs on a different machine,

Post by odklizec » Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:21 am

Hi,

No, I don't think that what you've described is currently doable with Ranorex. And I guess it may not be possible even with CI tools (like Jenkins), without splitting individual test case steps (those which must be run on different machine) to individual test cases. But even then, the individual test cases will not be in the same report. I simply don't see a way to start the test suite and then run each test step/case somewhere else and then collect results in the same report?

In a theory, it may be possible with Ranorex remote execution, using some Ranorex API magic, to switch between the remote agents. But I guess it will be a lot of work and you will need to use some undocumented/non-public API? I would suggest to directly contact Ranorex support (here) and ask them for help.
Pavel Kudrys
Ranorex explorer at Descartes Systems

Please add these details to your questions:
  • Ranorex Snapshot. Learn how to create one >here<
  • Ranorex xPath of problematic element(s)
  • Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration