Run the auto tests on the new UI of our application

Ask general questions here.
mto

Run the auto tests on the new UI of our application

Post by mto » Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:57 pm

Hello,

We have an application with a UI version (v2) and we have recently developed the version with a new UI (v3).
Regarding the Ranorex auto tests, we have tests on the v2 version and we want to start adapting the tests for the v3.
But we do not know how to do it? Many things change (buttons, menus ... etc) and we want to keep the tests on the v2 for know.
knowing that the existing repository has to change a lot, do I have to duplicate existing repository ?

If you have a method do not hesitate.

Thank you in advance to all.

MTO

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Re: Run the auto tests on the new UI of our application

Post by odklizec » Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:56 pm

Hi,

In my opinion, you should create another code branch for v3 tests and then simply use the main branch for v2 testing and new branch for v3 development. Once all tests will be optimized for v3 and v2 tests will no longer be required, you can merge second branch back to main branch.

As for updating tests, you will most probably have to manually update all affected repository elements, with new xpaths. And if the workflow changed too, you will have to adapt the individual recording actions as well, eventually add new or remove obsolete actions.
Pavel Kudrys
Ranorex explorer at Descartes Systems

Please add these details to your questions:
  • Ranorex Snapshot. Learn how to create one >here<
  • Ranorex xPath of problematic element(s)
  • Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

mto

Re: Run the auto tests on the new UI of our application

Post by mto » Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:39 pm

Thank you odklizec.

It's a good idea. I will try to develop v3 in a separate branch and merge it back later on master.
We will keep the two versions for a long moment. We don't know when v2 tests will no longer be required

Regards,

MTO