Running entire test suite starts at random test case.

Bug reports.
kmck
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Running entire test suite starts at random test case.

Post by kmck » Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:57 pm

I have a large test suite that, when run from the test suite level, starts at a very specific test case listed midway down the test suite and nested two test cases in.

It doesn't matter whether this test specific test case and its parent folders are selected or not, the test suite will always start the test from this test case. I have attempted to remove this test case altogether and rebuild it, but then my test run produces the failure "Could not find a test case with name or ID xxxxxxx".

I can run individual test cases just fine, but it's only when running from the test suite. Has anyone else had this issue?

krstcs
Ranorex Guru

Re: Running entire test suite starts at random test case.

Post by krstcs » Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:16 pm

More than likely you are running the test with an .rxtst file that you did not intend, or there is a corruption in the build. Without more info, it is hard to know, but this looks like an environmental issue, not a Ranorex bug.

Have you specifically cleaned and then re-built the solution?

Where are you running the tests?

Are you copying the files to another system?

Are there multiple .rxtst files in the project?

Are you running at the command-line?

Have you tried making a new simple test solution and did it do the same thing?

Finally, did you copy the test suite or .rxtst file from another test solution/project in the same solution? If you did, then that could be the problem as Ranorex uses GUIDs behind the scenes to identify objects so you can't copy them directly.
Shortcuts usually aren't...

kmck
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post by kmck » Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:45 pm

HI krstcs,

Have you specifically cleaned and then re-built the solution?
I have, multiple times, but with no resolution.

Where are you running the tests?
Directly inside Ranorex Studio.

Are you copying the files to another system?
I have not copied the files to another system. As of now I'm running them on my own system, where the test suite was built.

Are there multiple .rxtst files in the project?
Just the one .rxtst file for the project.

Are you running at the command-line?
I am not, just through the Ranorex Studio GUI at this point.

Have you tried making a new simple test solution and did it do the same thing?
I have run other test suites and they run fine, but it's just this one specific test suite.

I originally began creating this in 4.1.1 and then finished up in 4.1.2, and it wasn't until 4.1.2 that I began noticing the issue. I've looked through the configurations and I can't find anything off otherwise.

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Support Team » Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:45 am

Hi,

this is very strange indeed.
Have you also tried to change the run configuration or add a new run configuration?
Have you tried to run your solution on another computer?

Since you can reproduce this issue only with this one solution, would it be possible to send us this solution?

Regards,
Larissa
Ranorex Support

kmck
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post by kmck » Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:25 pm

Hi Larissa,

Unfortunately I am not able to share the test suite due to the information contained within it, but I have noticed that when run from the test runner, it starts exactly where expected. It seems to only be an issue when run from the Ranorex Studio. Are there any steps I can take to try and debug this issue?

Thank you.

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Support Team » Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:33 pm

kmck wrote:I have a large test suite that, when run from the test suite level, starts at a very specific test case listed midway down the test suite and nested two test cases in.
:idea: It sounds like you specified command line arguments for the project to run that test case. Please check whether the "Command line arguments" textbox is set in the "Debug" tab page of the project properties (right-click the project node and select "Properties").
However, if this is true, it would not start at a random test case, but always at the same test case.

Regards,
Alex
Ranorex Team

kmck
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post by kmck » Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:45 pm

Alex, that was it! Thanks so much. I have no idea how that got set, and I was going crazy trying to figure out what was going on :D