Running Exe on License Server

Ask general questions here.
mcs

Running Exe on License Server

Post by mcs » Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:57 pm

I have created a testsuite on my development machine but need to run it on the machine which is my Ranorex license server. I have one Premium Floating license. My goal is to run my testsuite executable on a scheduled basis. Whenever I attempt to run it, however I get this error:
"Unhandled Exception: System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'Ranorex.Core, Version=5.2.0.20272, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b798506b574ebc9a' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified. at TFS_Test_Run_App.Program.Main(String[] args)"

I would think that a premium license can be used as a runtime license but my guess is that this is not working.
Is there something I'm missing? On the License Server box I have only the License Server Ranorex App installed with the floating license, of course, configured.

Thanks in advance for any help or insight into this.

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Re: Running Exe on License Server

Post by odklizec » Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:16 pm

Hi,

It's not enough to copy the content of build dir to another computer and simply run the exe. At first, you need to copy some Ranorex core dlls to the output dir and also valid license file. Please follow the instruction from this post...
http://www.ranorex.com/forum/feature-re ... html#p7455

Honestly, I think it's much easier to install the Ranorex Studio on each computer where you plan to run your tests, instead of trying to run the tests on machine without Ranorex Studio ;)
Pavel Kudrys
Ranorex explorer at Descartes Systems

Please add these details to your questions:
  • Ranorex Snapshot. Learn how to create one >here<
  • Ranorex xPath of problematic element(s)
  • Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

krstcs

Post by krstcs » Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:22 pm

I agree, you need to install Ranorex on each system that you will be running tests on. You can copy the DLLs manually, but it is much easier to just install the whole thing. That way you know it is done correctly.

The License server does not contain any of the Ranorex libraries that are required for test execution. It only runs the license server.
Shortcuts usually aren't...

mcs

Post by mcs » Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:42 pm

Thanks guys. I appreciate the answer but it's not going to make my Network Admin very happy.
When I pushed for Ranorex, one of the most outstanding features was that it created an exe out of each test or suite. I assumed that that would mean a lightweight deployment on any other machine besides the Ranorex development box. Oh well... so much for that...
Thanks,
Mike

krstcs

Post by krstcs » Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:55 pm

On Windows systems, there are very few EXE files that do not have at least some dependencies on libraries. It would be very optimistic to expect that of a piece of software as complex as Ranorex. And the EXE would be huge.

Most Windows admins understand that software requires libraries. Just talk to them and tell them that Ranorex requires a specific set of DLLs in order to be able to control the mouse and keyboard and identify elements. It is better to install it because the installer will make sure everything is installed correctly.

Most of the time this won't be an issue if you explain it to them.
Shortcuts usually aren't...