Running Ranorex from a virtual Machine on Mac OSX

Ask general questions here.
carsonw

Running Ranorex from a virtual Machine on Mac OSX

Post by carsonw » Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:35 pm

Just wondering if this would be possible... basically you would have a mac running OSX, and hten within that you would have a Windows based VM (such as through Parallels) on which ranorex would be installed.

Would it then be possible for ranorex to run tests there? I just wonder about it getting confused with the mouse, screen size etc.

Thanks!

krstcs
Ranorex Guru

Re: Running Ranorex from a virtual Machine on Mac OSX

Post by krstcs » Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:15 pm

Yes, it is possible.

We have one of our QA Engineers who runs OSX with Windows on Parallels with no problems.

However, I will add that he is moving away from using Mac since all of his work can be done on Windows, and using Ranorex Studio on a VM can be slow and more cumbersome than if you are working on a physical Windows system, so take that for what it's worth to you...
Shortcuts usually aren't...

carsonw

Post by carsonw » Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:27 pm

That's good to know, thanks so much for the info.

one follow up question, is able to run the VM completely separately? By that I mean, can he run a test on the VM, minimized, and do other work while ranorex is running in there?

krstcs
Ranorex Guru

Post by krstcs » Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:45 pm

I don't know specifically for Mac as I've never seen him do it (he hasn't done automation in a while), but I would guess so, given that I do the exact same thing on my Windows system with VirtualBox.

I run 6 combinations of versions of Windows/IE (Win7/8/8.1 & IE8,9,10,11) and I can start a test on the VM, minimize it, and work on my system, without issue. I would expect the same from Parallels.
Shortcuts usually aren't...

carsonw

Post by carsonw » Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:04 pm

Ok that's great, thanks so much for your help!