Running separate solutions

Ask general questions here.
pkoel@americanbus

Running separate solutions

Post by pkoel@americanbus » Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:10 pm

Hello,

I am a new user. I have about 50 separate solutions that test my web application. I want to execute about four of the solutions in a row. Is there a better way that opening each and executing it? Is there a way to bundle solutions and execute the bundle all at once?

Sincerely,

Peter

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Re: Running separate solutions

Post by odklizec » Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:48 am

Hi,

I think your best option is to install and configure some kind of continuous integration solution (like Jenkins or Bamboo), to manage and run your tests? Please follow this user guide post:
https://www.ranorex.com/help/latest/int ... tegration/

BTW, may I ask why you are using 50 solutions? I assume (from your description) that you are using those 50 solutions with just one web application? So in this case, I think one solution (per application) should be just enough and simply organize the tests using projects and test cases/smartfolders, instead of creating multiple solutions?
Pavel Kudrys
Ranorex explorer at Descartes Systems

Please add these details to your questions:
  • Ranorex Snapshot. Learn how to create one >here<
  • Ranorex xPath of problematic element(s)
  • Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

pkoel@americanbus

Post by pkoel@americanbus » Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:43 pm

Hello,

Thanks for the suggestion. We are migrating our existing Selenium test cases to Ranorex. Phase 1 was to create a duplicate of each Selenium test case in Ranorex. Phase 2 is to group the test cases by functional area of testing. I had hoped that there was just a simple way of chaining multiple test cases together. Based on your reply, I will need to create a new solution and copy the recordings from each of the individual solutions to get my desired goal. Is that the only way?

Sincerely,

Peter

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Post by odklizec » Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:28 am

Hi,

I'm afraid, I'm still missing the point of creating multiple solutions? One solution can hold multiple projects (if needed) and as many test cases, as you want? Considering you are migrating tests (creating new one), I don't see a reason why to create one solution per one test? Simply create one solution and then add new Ranorex test case for each Selenium test case. And then, if needed, group them using SmartFolders or Projects.
Pavel Kudrys
Ranorex explorer at Descartes Systems

Please add these details to your questions:
  • Ranorex Snapshot. Learn how to create one >here<
  • Ranorex xPath of problematic element(s)
  • Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration