Runtime Floating License

Ask general questions here.
denisko

Runtime Floating License

Post by denisko » Thu Nov 24, 2016 1:49 pm

Hi,

I see that you are sometimes changing License policy so I would like to double-check how it works now.

We have several customers who need to execute our tests inside their networks.
Can we install only Runtime Floating License in each of them? Or we need to bridge them to our network Licensing Server?

Confusing part is that everywhere where you mention Runtime License you are saying that "It is an add-on to a Premium License ...". So it looks like you need to buy Premium and only then attach Runtime to it.

Thanks.

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Re: Runtime Floating License

Post by odklizec » Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:55 am

Hi,

Runtime license is independent from Premium license. You can buy as many of them as you want and you don't even need to have Premium license ;) The trick is, that with Runtime license, you can only run the tests (either from command line or from Ranorex Test Suite runner). In other words, you will not be able to edit them with Ranorex Studio.

Additionally, keep in mind, that one floating license can be used just by one user (at the same time)! So if there is more users in your network and there is a chance they will want to run the tests at the same time, you will need to buy multiple licenses. The idea of floating license is that it allows to run tests on various systems, without the need to purchase individual license per each system.

I'm not quite sure about licensing users from other networks. From practical and license management point of view, I think it would be better to have just one license server and somehow allow your customers to access this server (instead of installing individual licenses per customer)?
Pavel Kudrys
Ranorex explorer at Descartes Systems

Please add these details to your questions:
  • Ranorex Snapshot. Learn how to create one >here<
  • Ranorex xPath of problematic element(s)
  • Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

denisko

Post by denisko » Fri Nov 25, 2016 3:54 pm

Thank you! This is what I was expecting.
odklizec wrote: From practical and license management point of view, I think it would be better to have just one license server and somehow allow your customers to access this server (instead of installing individual licenses per customer)?
Yes, that's what we want to achieve but I don't know if that will be possible so I had to be sure that simple solution with separate licenses will do.
At least we can start with it and then later transfer licenses to shared server.

krstcs

Post by krstcs » Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:30 pm

Also, you should contact Ranorex directly here: http://www.ranorex.com/pricing/contact.html

They will be able to better direct you about some of the legal issues that may be involved. For example, you might be required to by a license for each site due to license restrictions, etc.
Shortcuts usually aren't...