Rx8: Error-Message as warning using GDI

Bug reports.
BCTest

Rx8: Error-Message as warning using GDI

Post by BCTest » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:20 am

Hi,

since the update from Ranorex 7 to 8 we receive the following warning on some Runner:
2018-01-23 08_23_04-ranorex.png

Code: Select all

Failed to instrument application: Could not connect to remoting service: Rx8_Managed_4600. System.Runtime.Remoting.RemotingException: Fehler beim Verbinden mit einem IPC-Port: Das System kann die angegebene Datei nicht finden.

Server stack trace: 
bei System.Runtime.Remoting.Channels.Ipc.IpcPort.Connect(String portName, Boolean secure, TokenImpersonationLevel impersonationLevel, Int32 timeout)
bei System.Runtime.Remoting.Channels.Ipc.ConnectionCache.GetConnection(String portName, Boolean secure, TokenImpersonationLevel level, Int32 timeout)
bei System.Runtime.Remoting.Channels.Ipc.IpcClientTransportSink.ProcessMessage(IMessage msg, ITransportHeaders requestHeaders, Stream requestStream, ITransportHeaders& responseHeaders, Stream& responseStream)
bei System.Runtime.Remoting.Channels.BinaryClientFormatterSink.SyncProcessMessage(IMessage msg)

Exception rethrown at [0]: 
bei System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.HandleReturnMessage(IMessage reqMsg, IMessage retMsg)
bei System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.PrivateInvoke(MessageData& msgData, Int32 type)
bei Ranorex.Core.IpcRemotingService.IPingable.Ping()
bei Ranorex.Core.Injection.DotNetThingy.GetInstance(Int32 pid) InnerException: 
(This message is only shown once per report.)
We didn't got these warnings while using Ranorex 7.2 and we changed some configurations because of Ranroex 8:
  • Rx7-Studio was installed on each Runner, Rx8-Studio is installed only on one Runner for validation reason. This Runner doesn't throw the exception shown above.
  • we now use the "Copy runtime to output"-feature which wasn't available in Rx7
  • we still use some GDI caputure settings:
    - ^DataGridWndClass$
    - ^MFCReportCtrl$
    - ^MSFlexGridWndClass$
How can we avoid this exception on the Ranorex-runner?

Regards,
BcTest.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Vega

Re: Rx8: Error-Message as warning using GDI

Post by Vega » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:09 pm

I've seen this happen with Anti-Virus programs in the past, are you running any anti-virus? If so, is Ranorex and your Ranorex test executable whitelisted? Is this reproducible on other machines? Please ensure you are launching Ranorex / your test / your application under test with administrative rights (please know these rights need to be invoked, even if you are logged in as an admin. Right click -> Run as admin).

It would be extremely helpful if you are able to include a Ranorex snapshot of your application under test, especially where the errors occur:
https://www.ranorex.com/support/user-gu ... pshot.html

rappeldoorn

Post by rappeldoorn » Thu May 24, 2018 9:04 am

Hi,

I have the same error/problem,
Please help me to fix the problem.

I have included a snapshot where the error (See bellow) occurs.

Have a nice day

Greetings Rob Appeldoorn

00:07.185 Warn GDI

Failed to instrument application: Could not connect to remoting service: Rx8_Managed_7396. System.Runtime.Remoting.RemotingException: Kan geen verbinding met een IPC-poort tot stand brengen: Het systeem kan het opgegeven bestand niet vinden.

Server stack trace:
bij System.Runtime.Remoting.Channels.Ipc.IpcPort.Connect(String portName, Boolean secure, TokenImpersonationLevel impersonationLevel, Int32 timeout)
bij System.Runtime.Remoting.Channels.Ipc.ConnectionCache.GetConnection(String portName, Boolean secure, TokenImpersonationLevel level, Int32 timeout)
bij System.Runtime.Remoting.Channels.Ipc.IpcClientTransportSink.ProcessMessage(IMessage msg, ITransportHeaders requestHeaders, Stream requestStream, ITransportHeaders& responseHeaders, Stream& responseStream)
bij System.Runtime.Remoting.Channels.BinaryClientFormatterSink.SyncProcessMessage(IMessage msg)

Exception rethrown at [0]:
bij System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.HandleReturnMessage(IMessage reqMsg, IMessage retMsg)
bij System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.PrivateInvoke(MessageData& msgData, Int32 type)
bij Ranorex.Core.IpcRemotingService.IPingable.Ping()
bij Ranorex.Core.Injection.DotNetThingy.GetInstance(Int32 pid) InnerException:
(This message is only shown once per report.)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Support Team » Fri May 25, 2018 9:21 pm

Hello!

Thank you for the information and snapshot!

In the past when we have seen similar issues it has generally been related to environment security such as anti-virus or security policies. SQLCMD seems to work through CMD which is located in a protected system directory which could definitely be related to your issue.

As such I would like to ask anyone experiencing this or a similar issue to submit a support query so that we may troubleshoot the issue within your environment as quickly as possible. You may find the support query portal here:

https://www.ranorex.com/support-query/

Please make a reference to this forum post within the ticket and I will be sure to get you taken care of!

I hope this helps and I look forward to hearing from you!

Regards,

-Jon

BCTest

Re: Rx9: Error-Message as warning using GDI

Post by BCTest » Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:50 am

Hello,

since the installation of Ranorex 9.2.1 we receive on certain runners always the Ranorex technology limitation described in this post.
We noticed the following behaviuor:
* the warning
** always occurs on certain runners
** never occurs on other runners
* if the warning is shown
** it always occurs when Ranorex first tests (visible/enabled/selected) or clicks on a tabpage
** the test always will fail because of a certain label, that can not be found despite it exists and is visible.

We have both, physical and virtual machines in use, and only virtual machines seems to be affected.

I've attached an archive containing reports and snapshots right before the warning and right before the failure with both results: one succeded and on failed.

What can we do to resolve the limitation on the affected machines?

As suggested I'll send a support query.

Kind regards,
BcTest

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Post by odklizec » Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:35 pm

Hi,

I think you must find out, what's different on those failing machines? Are all of them use the same OS and are they updated with the same (all available) updates?

At first, make sure there are installed the same Ranorex versions (best uninstall them all an install back). Install Ranorex Studio on these failing machines, even though you are not planning to use Ranorex Studio on them! Full installation of Ranorex will assure that there are installed all required system libs and their expected versions.
At next, check if all machines use the same .Net and VisualC++ libs. A complete list of system libs, and their versions. can be found here:
https://www.ranorex.com/help/latest/ran ... uirements/

Generally speaking, there must be something different (missing or corrupted) on those failing machines, which prevents Ranorex to perform the same level of object recognition? Simply, you must find the difference. I'm afraid, there is not a workaround.

BTW, there is not much anyone here can do or suggest without examining, at very least, Ranorex snapshots from those failing machines. Ideally take the snapshot of typically failing UI element, both on the machine where the GDI capture works and where it does not work. However, I think it will be required full examination of the app you are testing. Hence you may need to contact Ranorex support and request a remote session with them, so they can analyze the problem directly on the failing machine(s).
Pavel Kudrys
Ranorex explorer at Descartes Systems

Please add these details to your questions:
  • Ranorex Snapshot. Learn how to create one >here<
  • Ranorex xPath of problematic element(s)
  • Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

BCTest

Post by BCTest » Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:42 am

Hi odklizec,

thanks for your answer.
Yes, I agree, it has to be a local problem on the machines but I've no clue which problem it is and how to solve. I hope the support team can give me advice.

And because I forgot to mention in my post above:
* Ranorex is installed on all machines at the same Version (9.2.1)
* I sent snapshots to the suport team from a machine which could succeded the test and from a machine which failed the test.
* OS is different on our machines to verify our application works on all supportes windows OS. But the snapshots I sent to the support team were made on Win10 1909 machines - despite I don't think you can get two identical Windows version on two different machine 8)

Regards,
BcTest

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Post by odklizec » Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:48 pm

Hi,

Just in case, have you uninstalled Ranorex before installing new version? If not, please try this approach on all problematic machines.
Usually, Ranorex update should work without the need to uninstall old version. But it's a good idea to try this in case of weird problems ;)

Could you please set error level to Debug and post here a complete report from failing machine?

BTW, there was a similar problem discussed here...
https://www.ranorex.com/forum/viewtopic ... 313#p50169

Additionally, try to uncheck "32/64 BitBridge" option in Ranorex settings (Settings >> Advanced tab).
Pavel Kudrys
Ranorex explorer at Descartes Systems

Please add these details to your questions:
  • Ranorex Snapshot. Learn how to create one >here<
  • Ranorex xPath of problematic element(s)
  • Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

BCTest

Post by BCTest » Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:17 am

Hi,

just to give a short feedback: We solved the problem with advices from the support-team and odklizec. We had to update the .NET-Framework on the affected runner-machines. On one runner-machine we additionally had to reinstall Ranorex.
It was a coincidence that only the virtual machines were affected.

Now all works fine.
Thanks to the support-team and odklizec.

Regards,
BcTest