.rxlog not generated always

Ranorex Studio, Spy, Recorder, and Driver.
TimoL

.rxlog not generated always

Post by TimoL » Mon May 13, 2019 7:42 am

.rxlog.data is generated always, but sometimes there will be .ref file instead of .rxlog file in the bin/Debug folder. And sometimes the rxlog is generated into Reports folder under the test suite, but sometimes there's no .rxlog at all, just the .rxlog.data and .ref files. What could be the reason? The test case is the same and I have custom report template in use and I run the tests by Jenkins.

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Re: .rxlog not generated always

Post by odklizec » Mon May 13, 2019 8:00 am

Hi,

At first, please tell us what Ranorex version and OS do you use? I don't remember problem like this with recent Ranorex versions. So if you are using something older than 8.3.3 or 9.0.1, please update Ranorex with most recent version. Also, how big are typically created rxlog files? And does it happen while running entire solution or just individual recordings from Studio?
Pavel Kudrys
Ranorex explorer at Descartes Systems

Please add these details to your questions:
  • Ranorex Snapshot. Learn how to create one >here<
  • Ranorex xPath of problematic element(s)
  • Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

TimoL

Post by TimoL » Mon May 13, 2019 8:15 am

Ranorex version is the latest, 9.0.1 and OS Windows 10. Rxlog file size is about 600kt. I'm running individual test cases from Jenkins.

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Post by odklizec » Mon May 13, 2019 8:26 am

Hi,

This is really weird then. I'm using the same configuration and I've never experienced such situation. The only time Ranorex does not produce rxlog (when started from Jekins) is unexpected slave disconnection, during test run. Do you see a pattern in this behavior? Does the test finish OK? is there anything interesting at the end of Jenkins log? Also, how do you run your tests? Via command line or Ranorex test run Jenkins plugin?
Pavel Kudrys

• Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

TimoL

Post by TimoL » Mon May 13, 2019 9:53 am

Currently I don't have agents in Jenkins and run everything from master. I think the test has failed always when the rxlog is not generated, but sometimes the rxlog is generated even though the test failed. I have tried also the html log, but there's the same issue: it's not generated always.

In most of the cases there's nothing special in Jenkins log, but at least once there was:

[2019/05/13 08:44:47.005][Debug ][Logger]: Console logger stopping.
Process leaked file descriptors. See https://jenkins.io/redirect/troubleshoo ... escriptors for more information
Build step 'Run a Ranorex test suite' changed build result to FAILURE
Finished: FAILURE

I run the tests via Ranorex plugin in Jenkins.

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Post by odklizec » Mon May 13, 2019 11:52 am

Hi,

Well, the line "Process leaked file descriptors" could very well be the cause of the problem? I'm not seeing anything like that in my Jenkins logs. So, I assume that there is something wrong with the process running the test and which is probably terminated before the test is finished with saving report file? Have you followed the suggestions from the attached link?
Pavel Kudrys

• Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

TimoL

Post by TimoL » Thu May 16, 2019 2:27 pm

Yes, I have read that article, but I have seen "Process leaked file descriptors" only once. And the test case closes the processes at end of the test. And I don't have any post-build actions in most of the cases.

The tests have been running since last summer, but I noticed this missing log file problem just few weeks ago. There was no .ref files before that. The rxlog (or html) report is still generated sometimes, but usually not. And it doesn't matter whether the test cases succeeds or fails. I tried to compare the Jenkins console output of a test run which generates the rxlog (or html) report and a test run which does not generate the report file, but didn't find any difference.

The situation is the same also if I change the report type as html: test run produces .html.data and .ref files. but not the .html file.

I tried to add Jenkins console output example, but the forum blocks it...

qwertzu

Post by qwertzu » Mon May 20, 2019 1:17 pm

hi TimoL,

Do you start an additional thread in your test? Maybe a popup watcher?
If so, make sure to close these threads at the end of your tests.
I previously had issues with the report when leaving threads open.

regards, qwertzu

TimoL

Post by TimoL » Tue May 21, 2019 6:57 am

I don't start additional threads. But now I noticed that the report files actually exists there, but I hadn't find them because I had sorted the bin/Debug folder by modified column and the modified date is wrong: for a test case I run today, the report file's created date is today (21.5.), but modified date is in past (30.4.)! Maybe this is bug in Ranorex 9.0.1? I think this started about at same time when I updated from 9.0.0 version.

TimoL

Post by TimoL » Tue May 21, 2019 7:02 am

Starting from 7.5.2019 the report file's modified date has been always 30.4.2019 14.43

MB_wiko

Post by MB_wiko » Tue May 21, 2019 10:51 am

Hi,
I observe the same issue (Ranorex 9.01).
the .rxlog has another 'date of change' than the other report files.
The 'date of change' from my .rxlog File(s) are always 16.07.2018 16:19