.rxtst file references all other projects in solution?

Ranorex Spy, Recorder, and Studio.
jasoncleo

.rxtst file references all other projects in solution?

Post by jasoncleo » Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:03 am

This is sort of related to a topic just posted a few days ago:
ranorex.com/forum/how-to-change-the-reference-path-in-rxtst-file-t8021.html
But my question is slightly different.

I'm fairly new to Ranorex, and we've taken the approach of having a single Ranorex solution, with multiple projects in it. The solution contains the tests related to the one development application.

We're using Ranorex 5.3.0, on Win7.

Some of the projects are supporting class libraries, providing API facilities, audio control, etc etc. Some projects are collections of abstraction classes to isolate general UI screens.

Finally we have test suite projects for various features/scenarios we want to test, where the test suite project groups the test cases related to a feature/scenario.

The issue:
We have observed that the rxtst files for a project will include references to the output assembly of all other projects, regardless of whether the current test suite uses any elements from those projects. Even if the test suite project doesn't have a reference to a given project, the problem is that the rxtst will have a reference to it. And the reference will be a relative path, based on the compile environment

Like the linked topic post, when we deploy to a test runtime environment, we copy all our binaries to a single folder, so that Jenkins can just trigger the test case executables. But the beginning of the test cases is filled with log messages about not finding various binaries, because we're no longer in that build folder structure.

The log messages don't affect the actual test execution, which still runs fine. But it is quite annoying and i don't see the point.

I can remove it by adding a reference to each test suite project to reference the others, but then I'll get cyclic dependencies, plus the whole thing is tedious when there are multiple projects.

Is there anyway I can stop the rxtst from having references to everything else?

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: .rxtst file references all other projects in solution?

Post by Support Team » Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:54 am

Hello jasoncleo,

The references within the solution files (*.rxtst) are required for finding all linked projects, especially when executing the test using the standalone Ranorex Testsuite Runner. As for your issue, we are aware of the behavior of referencing unused projects. We will try to fix this within one of our next releases.

Thank you for your understanding.

Kind regards,
Robert

jasoncleo

Post by jasoncleo » Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:53 am

No worries. It'll be much appreciated if it can be fixed. It will also help reduce "noise" in the version control as then we won't have all rxtst files having to be updated and committed just because a new project was added to the solution.

For the time being, I'll just keep reassurring our build manager that the block of red lines at the beginning of the test execution are things he can just ignore :D

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Support Team » Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:00 am

Hello jasoncleo,

We already fixed the mentioned error messages within Ranorex. 5.3.1. Please update to 5.3.1 or even better to 5.3.2 in order to overcome the issue.

Regards,
Robert

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Support Team » Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:33 pm

Hello all,

We fixed the behavior of wrongly referenced projects with our current version, Ranorex 5.4.

Regards,
Robert