Screenshots of software running in full screen mode

Bug reports.
Grogimer

Screenshots of software running in full screen mode

Post by Grogimer » Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:52 pm

Ranorex does not like taking a screenshot of applications in full screen mode.

Duplicate:
1. create a recording
2. in the recording add a new report line item to take a screenshot without a repository item selected
3. add a new line item to delay for 2 min (this is just so you can get the next one up and running to take a screenshot of)
4. Install any game that runs in full screen, not full screened windowed mode
5. Start the recording
6. Start the game
7. View Report

I have 2 screens you can see it is giving me black when in full screen mode. If in windowed it works fine.

krstcs

Re: Screenshots of software running in full screen mode

Post by krstcs » Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:28 pm

What version of Ranorex are you using?

What operating system are you running on?

What technology is the application under test (AUT) coded in? Is the AUT a DirectX or OpenGL application?

Have you tried capturing a screenshot with Ranorex Spy? (Track the object then right-click the element in spy and select "Capture Screen Shot".)

Have you tried running the AUT on each screen and getting a screen shot on each one?
Shortcuts usually aren't...

Grogimer

Post by Grogimer » Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:18 pm

Sorry, Left all that out.

Windows 7 Pro but it also happens on Windows 8.1. Have not tried it on vista or xp yet.

Ranorex Version 5.0.3.18203

DirectX 9.0c

Can not really do that since when you leave a full screen application it minimizes.But doing the ctrl+lwindow when in the application pulls you back to desktop and in spy it does show a black screen for it. Snapshots are also coming back black. Again it is only when the application is running full screen (not maximized).

Screen side does not impact the results. Still black.

krstcs

Post by krstcs » Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:56 pm

I have no issues with screenshots of any Win32 applications in full-screen mode (Firefox, Chrome, IE; full-screen, not just maximized).

I think DirectX is the problem. I do not believe that Ranorex supports DirectX at all, or has the ability to screenshot a DirectX application. Perhaps the support team can answer that more concretely.

Are you automating with image recognition?

Have you been able to identify any elements? When you use Spy, even though it returns a black screen shot, does it recognize the elements? I wouldn't expect it, but maybe it does.

Could you post or send ([email protected]) a snapshot of the application? http://www.ranorex.com/support/user-gui ... files.html

Grogimer

Post by Grogimer » Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:26 pm

You are probably right about it being something to do with DirectX.

I am actually not trying to automate the game, I am testing the launcher. Just wanted the a screenshot that the game opened to be sent in an emailed report for spot checking.So image recognition is not necessary for this part (although image rec is actually working with it outside of full screen mode). I already work around the problem by adding the keystroke Alt+Enter to remove it from full screen and i get a clean screenshot.

Full screen windowed mode has no problem getting screen shots either(this mode runs like full screen but lets you leave the window on multi-displays.)

In Spy it recognizes the window is there but nothing inside the window, which is expected. I honestly don't think they will get anything from the snapshot file since there is very little detail, but i will send it to support. :)

krstcs

Post by krstcs » Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:43 pm

Yeah, I seem to remember that someone asked a similar question a few years ago about DX, and the answer was pretty much "No way to do it". DX is a very different animal.

If you just need to validate that the application launches, you could search for the form/window using a Validate.Exists() on the game's form/window.

I know the screenshot would be better for demonstration purposes (pictures and thousands of words comes to mind...), but this would at least validate that the application is running.

Grogimer

Post by Grogimer » Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:24 pm

Well if i really need to get a full screen screenshot i could automate snip it or do a print screen and code it to pull it from the clipboard. Just not worth the effort. So allot of ways to get around it. Just took the simple path and pulled it out of full screen.

Validating if it exists would only get me half way there. Actually have to see it get into the game not just makes sure it fires it off. So the screenshot is a must have. Luckily there are workarounds. :)

Thanks for your time krstcs!

krstcs

Post by krstcs » Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:30 pm

You are welcome!

Maybe I'll be playing that game at some point... :D