Settings in iPhone 6 or 6s

Ask general questions here.
gilbar16

Settings in iPhone 6 or 6s

Post by gilbar16 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:30 pm

Hello,

Is there any Settings in an iPhone 6 that controls how HTML "Select" controls are displayed?

HTML 5 is used.
In an app I'm testing, the Language drop down list gets displayed normally in the iPad (iOS 9.2.1). You click on the down arrow and you tap on an item in the list to select it.
In the iPhone 6 (iOS 9.2.1), the drop down is displayed at the bottom of the screen and it behaves similar to a DatePicker control where you scroll up and down to select an item then tap on Done.

I checked the behavior in a simulator/emulator like Keynote MITE and the drop down control behaves the same as in the iPad. So I have no clue why it behaves very different in the iPhone 6.

Help!

Thanks.
Gilbert

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Re: Settings in iPhone 6 or 6s

Post by odklizec » Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:26 am

Hi,

Does the problem happen both in RXBrowser and Safari? If it does not happen in Safari, then it's most probabbly a RXBrowser issue? If it happens in both browsers, then it's most probably an iOS thing. And I don't think there is user accessible setting in iOS to change this behavior.
Pavel Kudrys
Ranorex explorer at Descartes Systems

Please add these details to your questions:
  • Ranorex Snapshot. Learn how to create one >here<
  • Ranorex xPath of problematic element(s)
  • Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

gilbar16

Post by gilbar16 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:47 pm

Hi Pavel,

Yes, the mobile web app behaves the same way in Safari and RxBrowser where tapping on the HTML Select control displays the list of items at the bottom of the screen showing a format similar to a DatePicker (or one of those Kendo UI controls) wherein the user has to scroll the listitems up or down to select then tap the Done control to dismiss the list. Ranorex Object Spy somehow does not see this listitems.

I'm not sure if it's an iOS thing though since I installed the same iOS v9.2.1 in an iPad Air 2 and the behavior is completely different. The list of items is displayed just like the ones you see in a regular listbox (right next to the Select control and a check mark is placed to the right of the item that was selected. This Select control is recognized by Ranorex.

Waiting for an Android device that I can borrow so I can see how this HTML Select control behaves.

Thanks.
Gilbert

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Post by odklizec » Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:05 pm

Hi Gilbert,

If it works the same in Safari and RxBrowser, then I'm sure it's an iOS thing. Don't forget that iPad works with much more generous screen estate and therefore, many iOS controls may work and appear differently than on much smaller iPhone display.
Pavel Kudrys
Ranorex explorer at Descartes Systems

Please add these details to your questions:
  • Ranorex Snapshot. Learn how to create one >here<
  • Ranorex xPath of problematic element(s)
  • Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

gilbar16

Post by gilbar16 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:56 pm

Hi Pavel,

You're right it is an iOS thing.
I checked with our developers team and told me that if in iPad, the pop up control is used and if in iPhone or smaller display devices like an iPhone, it automatically defaults to this "Picker" type control.

Got a brief demo on the iOS emulator running on a MacBook and the emulator showed the same behavior as the actual iPad and iPhone.

Thanks.
Gilbert