Settings in ranorex to improve object identification

Technology specific object identification, supported applications, web technologies, and 3rd party controls.
murthyksvr

Settings in ranorex to improve object identification

Post by murthyksvr » Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:04 pm

It takes huge time for identification of control when click on highlight option in ranorex spy. The control tree structure is OK. But too long. Are there any settings in ranorex which can improve object identification time.?(currently it takes approx 2-10 min for highlighting the control.Pls suggest list of settings in ranorex.Below are ranorex and SUT details which I am using.
SUT - Medical imaging application developed on visual studio 2008, C# (64bit app)
Ranorex: 6.0.1

murthyksvr

Re: Settings in ranorex to improve object identification

Post by murthyksvr » Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:05 pm

Sorry there is a typo. Tree structure is not too long. It's OK.

krstcs
Ranorex Guru

Post by krstcs » Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:40 pm

Post a snapshot of the element in question and the RanoreXPath you are using if you want any real help, otherwise we are just guessing.

Having said that, my guess is that you are using a path that is not specific enough. If your path is not specific enough (has too many wildcards ("?") or null sections ("//")) then Ranorex will have to search EACH AND EVERY element that MIGHT match the path until if finds the FIRST one that matches exactly.

If you want to change the default behavior of path generation there is a setting in Ranorex that determines how the path is filled out. Go to Global Settings > Advanced tab. Change the "RanoreXPath generation mode:" setting to "Simple" (I use "Reduce"). This will give you a very long path, but it will be very specific. It won't have wildcards ("?") or null sections ("//") and will be much faster.

Doing this will make your paths less manageable, but you can create rooted folders in your repo to better manage the paths.
Shortcuts usually aren't...

murthyksvr

Post by murthyksvr » Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:34 am

Thank you for your inputs. I can see an improvement now