Sharing Recording Modules among solutions

Best practices, code snippets for common functionality, examples, and guidelines.
bygones

Sharing Recording Modules among solutions

Post by bygones » Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:35 am

Hi,

what possibilities do exist to share existing record modules among solutions ?

I remember that in one of the webinars I watched there was shortly mentioned a library, that I could not find anymore.

So how can I create such library to share recording modules - if possible ?

and if so, is it possible to add already existing recording modules to such library ?

Thanks

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Sharing Recording Modules among solutions

Post by Support Team » Thu Dec 10, 2015 5:06 pm

Hi bygones,

Detailed information about the use of Ranorex Test Suite libraries and general information about organizing a test automation project can be found in the following blog post: Organizing a Test Automation Project with Ranorex Test Suites.

If you want to add existing modules to a different project, please follow the steps below:

1) Add the existing items (e.g. Recording Modules) to the project.
add_existing_item.png
2) After choosing the file, you will be asked if you want to copy or link the repository.
In your case you could copy the repository to the new solution.
repository_project_reference.png
After that, you should be able to use the module within the Test Suite library.

Please let me know if you need more information.

Regards,
Johannes
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

A_C

Post by A_C » Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:48 am

Hello

This is quite old, but i have a qustion regarding this topic.

I have tried to link a module from one project to another in the way it is described above, but as far as i see this just copies the module and it is not a link of it. When i do changes of the module in one project, they are not transfered into the other project.
Do i missing something?

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Support Team » Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:24 pm

Hello A_C,

I'm afraid there seems to be a misunderstanding. Adding an existing recording module to a project does always copy the recording module to the project. The dialog that is displayed after adding the module refers to the repository file (*.rxrep). In this case, you are able to copy or link the repository.

If you want to share modules between different solutions, I would suggest using a module library. Detailed information can be found in the blog post about Organizing a Test Automation Project.

I hope this information will help you. If you have further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Sincerely,
Johannes