Sharing Reports Using ReportViewer

Ranorex Studio, Spy, Recorder, and Driver.
jmckinstry

Sharing Reports Using ReportViewer

Post by jmckinstry » Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:48 pm

I am having problems getting the ReportViewer to open a file on a PC that does not have Ranorex installed. I have read the posts about sharing reports and it seems very simple, but ReportViewer is giving me an error when I try to run it on a PC that does not have Ranorex installed. I have the following files in a folder on the PC that I want to run the files on:

Ranorex.Controls.dll
Ranorex.Core.xml
Ranores.Libs.dll
Ranorex.ReportViewer.exe

I have also associated the rxzlog extension with the report viewer

We are using version 5.0.3.18203.

I am getting a very generic error message when trying to run ReportViewer.exe. It just says that "Ranorex Report Viewer has stopped working". I can click a View Details arrow and get an xml file (which is just a file that Microsoft wants to have sent to them when a program crashes) that has the following information:

<ProblemSignatures>
<EventType>CLR20r3</EventType>
<Parameter0>ranorex.reportviewer.exe</Parameter0>
<Parameter1>5.0.3.18203</Parameter1>
<Parameter2>53737cb1</Parameter2>
<Parameter3>Ranorex.Controls</Parameter3>
<Parameter4>5.0.3.18203</Parameter4>
<Parameter5>53737cae</Parameter5>
<Parameter6>172b</Parameter6>
<Parameter7>0</Parameter7>
<Parameter8>System.IO.FileNotFoundException</Parameter8>
</ProblemSignatures>

Not terribly informative, but I wanted to include it none-the-less.

Any ideas?

Thanks for any help with this.

Jeff

krstcs

Re: Sharing Reports Using ReportViewer

Post by krstcs » Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:30 pm

Why not just install Ranorex? It doesn't take up much room and only uses a license if you run it. This will ensure that it is installed correctly and that the dlls are registered.

Also, the report is an HTML document, so you can rename it from "*.rxlog" to "*.html", and rename the data file from "*.rxlog.data" to "*.html.data". It can then be viewed in any browser. This is the easiest way to distribute the reports.

You can have Ranorex do the rename automatically by changing the report settings in the test suite's properties so that Ranorex names the report file "*.html" (which will also automatically rename the data file). To do this, right-click on the test suite's name at the top of the rxtst file. Select "Properties" and under the "Report Properties" section, change the report name from (default) "%S_%Y%M%D_%T.rxlog" to "%S_%Y%M%D_%T.html".
Shortcuts usually aren't...

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Re: Sharing Reports Using ReportViewer

Post by odklizec » Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:03 pm

Hi,

Are you sure you copied correct files? In your description, there is mentioned Ranorex.Core.xml but the correct file is Ranorex.Core.dll!
Pavel Kudrys
Ranorex explorer at Descartes Systems

Please add these details to your questions:
  • Ranorex Snapshot. Learn how to create one >here<
  • Ranorex xPath of problematic element(s)
  • Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration