Sharing repositories and tests

Best practices, code snippets for common functionality, examples, and guidelines.
Goransi

Sharing repositories and tests

Post by Goransi » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:03 pm

I'd like to set up multiple test suites that share common repository (repositories) and perhaps som test recordings, code modules or module groups.
1. Is it possible for multiple solutions to share a common repository? Alternatevly is it possible to have multiple suites in the same solution (forum answers indicate no)?
2. Is it possible to refactor and move some tests to common libraries? What exactly is required as after manually moving test recordings to different solutions (even with copying or linking repositories) does not work (forms elements are never found)
3. Is it considered best practive to have a single giant test suites for all the tests?

Thanks for any pointers!

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Sharing repositories and tests

Post by Support Team » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:50 am

Hello,
1. Is it possible for multiple solutions to share a common repository? Alternatevly is it possible to have multiple suites in the same solution (forum answers indicate no)?
It is possible to create multiple projects in a Solution. In each of the projects you can have a TestSuite file.
You can also use repository items, modules and module groups in a project created in another project.
2. Is it possible to refactor and move some tests to common libraries? What exactly is required as after manually moving test recordings to different solutions (even with copying or linking repositories) does not work (forms elements are never found)
You can use "Ranorex Class Library" as a project for creating classes which are used in other applications. Please take a look on the following section at our user guide: http://www.ranorex.com/support/user-gui ... reate.html
In general it depends on the structure of your solution how and where you want to use the repository items. It is hard for me to say what the problem is in your solution. In order to analyze the issue I would need more information about it.
2. Is it considered best practive to have a single giant test suites for all the tests?
In most cases I would prefer the divide and conquer principle in order to make it easier to maintain the solution(s) and make it easier to understand what's going on in the solution(s) for other people.