Single project in multi-project Ranorex solution runs slowly

Ask general questions here.
andreas.mross

Single project in multi-project Ranorex solution runs slowly

Post by andreas.mross » Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:42 am

I am working on a very large application with many modules.
All Ranorex tests for this application are in a single Ranorex solution, with many separate Ranorex projects (approx 50 separate projects) within that solution.

Running the test suite for a single project takes around 50 seconds just for Ranorex to copy all the files from the source folders to the "bin/debug" folder, before it actually starts running the test suite.

I have noticed that Ranorex will copy source files for ALL projects in the solution to the "bin/debug" folder, even though I am only executing one single project. This is why the tests take so long to start executing.

I experimented by removing all the other 50 projects from the solution, except the project I am actually working on. I found that this reduces the copying time from 50 seconds to 2 or 3 seconds at most. A great improvement!

The tests for the single project still execute correctly.

I would like to get this speed up during development without having to remove all the other projects from the solution. Why does Ranorex copy files for *every* project in the solution, when I have told it just to run a single project? Is there an option to stop this behaviour? If not, can an option be added??

We are using Ranorex 5.4.4

Diddy

Re: Single project in multi-project Ranorex solution runs slowly

Post by Diddy » Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:07 am

I would suggest you create a "New test solution" in Ranorex Studio, delete the default empty project and "Add existing project" the project you want to work on. You can use this small single-project solution for your work and all changes will be applied in your big solution "automatically".

andreas.mross

Re: Single project in multi-project Ranorex solution runs slowly

Post by andreas.mross » Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:02 am

I just worked it out.

If I right click on the project in the "Projects" pane, and choose "Run Project", it only copies the files needed for that project, and the test starts up in a couple of seconds.

If I run the tests any other way (.rxtst file ->Run button, Debug menu->Run, F5 key), Ranorex copies ALL the files and it takes a much longer time.