Sporadic failures in command line execution in Devops pipeline

Ask general questions here.
vishalkulkarni

Sporadic failures in command line execution in Devops pipeline

Post by vishalkulkarni » Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:18 am

Issue 1:
Commandline execution of Ranorex suites sporadically fails as they return below return codes.
When these return codes are provided, the test execution report too is not exported

Issue 2:
Sporadically this exception is also thrown while executing test case
2020-08-11T19:25:10.0682166Z [2020/08/11 21:25:10.067][Error ][Module]: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

One re execution the same suites pass. This is quite inconsistent and sporadic.

Client application: Standalone Desktop application.
Ranorex: 9.1.0

Execution is done as part of Azure pipeline on VM, with test suites executed via command line scripts.

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Re: Sporadic failures in command line execution in Devops pipeline

Post by odklizec » Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:12 pm

Hi,

At first, try to reproduce the issue with most recent Ranorex 9.3.2. Your current version is outdated and no longer supported, which means it does not make sense to debug such problem with obsolete version.

As for the first two error codes, these are Windows “file system error” codes. In other words, they are OS related and not Ranorex- related codes! So I would suggest to search for these errors via google and do what uncle Google says 😉

As for the second issue it’s hard to tell without seeing entire report and exact step in test, where it failed. Could you please provide entire report and ideally, also whole test suite (or at very least reduced version of test suite)?
Pavel Kudrys
Ranorex explorer at Descartes Systems

Please add these details to your questions:
  • Ranorex Snapshot. Learn how to create one >here<
  • Ranorex xPath of problematic element(s)
  • Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

vishalkulkarni

Post by vishalkulkarni » Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:11 am

As for the first two error codes, these are Windows “file system error” codes. In other words, they are OS related and not Ranorex- related codes! So I would suggest to search for these errors via google and do what uncle Google says 😉

@odklizec This was certainly not the response i expected in this forum.

I had googled this error code prior to posting query.
-1073740791 Stack buffer overflow / overrun. Error can indicate a bug in the executed software that causes stack overflow, leading to abnormal termination of the software.

This is certainly not a file system error. its the application which is crashing. And this happens sporadically.

The other return code -1073740940, this i have not been able to find what it means though.

I would check this scenario with latest Ranorex 9.3.2 and provide feedback.

Would appreciate if an update could be provided whether these issues were known earlier and were fixed in this version?

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Post by odklizec » Sun Aug 16, 2020 1:07 pm

Hi,

Well, I’m using Ranorex slightly over 8 years and I’ve never experienced such issue. And I’m not even remembering discussion about such problem. In other words, this problem looks like something very rare and really machine/configuration specific. But I’m a normal Ranorex user like you. So if you need more technical and thorough support, I would suggest to create an official support ticket here...
https://www.ranorex.com/support-query
Ranorex support guys will gladly help. But they will definitely need more detailed info regarding to your system and they may even need remote access? This kind of problem is definitely not solvable via public forum.
Pavel Kudrys
Ranorex explorer at Descartes Systems

Please add these details to your questions:
  • Ranorex Snapshot. Learn how to create one >here<
  • Ranorex xPath of problematic element(s)
  • Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

vishalkulkarni

Post by vishalkulkarni » Sun Aug 16, 2020 1:16 pm

Thank you for the link.
Yes it's a sporadically occuring issue.
Sure I would check with them. Cheers.