Spy tool on VM

Technology specific object identification, supported applications, web technologies, and 3rd party controls.
RyanM

Spy tool on VM

Post by RyanM » Tue May 24, 2011 4:35 pm

I am running with the 3.0.2 version of Ranorex and I am having difficulties in getting the Spy tool to correctly identify some of my windows form elements in an MDI application. The specific components that it is failing to recognize are items such as standard treeviews and the open / close buttons for the mdi children forms.

The box configuration that I am experiencing this problem on is a Windows XP 32 bit virtual machine. I have tried the above test on 6 different boxes configured the same way with the same result.

I have also tried Ranorex on Windows Server 2003 (x64), and the spy tool was able to identify all of the elements correctly.

As an additional note, I tried running the Microsoft UISpy tool included in the Vista SDK, and it was able to recognize the form elements on the Windows XP x32 VM.

Is there a known compatibility issue with 32 bit virtual machines?

Please let me know if you are aware of any issues, or know of a possible workaround to this issue. Also, please let me know if there is any additional information I can provide.

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Spy tool on VM

Post by Support Team » Tue May 24, 2011 5:01 pm

Hi,

We also use VM machines and we had never such a problem. Please would it be possible to post us a Ranorex Snapshot of a non working machine and one of the working machine? These snapshots are very useful for us to verify your issue.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Peter
Ranorex Team

RyanM

Post by RyanM » Wed May 25, 2011 12:51 pm

Hi Peter, thank you for the reply. Would it be possible to send a private message / email to you with the pictures? I would prefer to not post the images directly on the forum if possible.

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Support Team » Wed May 25, 2011 1:26 pm

Hi,
yes you can send us an email: [email protected].

Regards,
Peter
Ranorex Team