Stable Repository for different versions of an app?

Ask general questions here.
loonquawl

Stable Repository for different versions of an app?

Post by loonquawl » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:32 am

Hi.

I'm working with an evaluation version of Ranorex 7.1.1+git.dd304477.
I just began making reusable recordings, renaming some Items in the Repository for better readability, etc.
I am rather pleased with the way the Repository automatically structures the items, but i have a huge concern about one of the "root"-folders: It is named after the specific version of the app that i am testing: TestedApp257, and the path also points to the version :

Code: Select all

/form[@title~'^TestedApp\ \(Version\ 2\.5\.']
What will happen when a new version of the tested app is released? Can i then just adjust the path manually :) , or is there even some automatism in place :D , or will the Repository have to be built and relinked to the recordings from scratch :shock: '?
To be clear: If it was a root-folder i would not be worried - that is after all what root-folders are all about. My question is whether the topmost folder of the repository is functionally a root-folder.

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Re: Stable Repository for different versions of an app?

Post by odklizec » Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:49 am

Hi,

You can simply remove the "version" part of string from root folder xpath, eventually, replace it with regex.

You see, Ranorex recorder does not recognize a version number in recorded strings. So after each recording session, you should always go through all recorded elements and manually improve their xpaths (if needed) and at least rename automatically created names, eventually reorganize elements in more logical way. In many cases, recorded repository is not organized in most efficient way and may be hard to use in long run.
Pavel Kudrys
Ranorex explorer at Descartes Systems

Please add these details to your questions:
  • Ranorex Snapshot. Learn how to create one >here<
  • Ranorex xPath of problematic element(s)
  • Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

loonquawl

Re: Stable Repository for different versions of an app?

Post by loonquawl » Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:50 am

So it is, in essence, a root folder. I thought as much, but was fearful that it was wishful thinking.
Thanks for clearing that up!