start Ranorex with admin rights in Jenkins

Ask general questions here.
MinhTV

start Ranorex with admin rights in Jenkins

Post by MinhTV » Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:13 am

Hello,

for my test, i need to start Ranorex as an admin because i change some registry files within the test. In normal mode, ranorex has no rights to change it but it can with admin rights.
Now i want to integrate Ranorex in jenkins, so that ranorex can start fully automatically.
But i dont know how i can run Ranorex in admin mode within jenkins.
Is there any possibility to do that?

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Re: start Ranorex with admin rights in Jenkins

Post by odklizec » Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:16 am

Hi,

Generally speaking, it should be enough to create a shortcut to test app, which you may need to use in Jenkins job. Check the best answer here:
https://community.spiceworks.com/topic/ ... ry-7523395
How I understand the solution, it requires to be run manually (once), and after you fill the administrator's password, next time it should run without requesting either password or UAC dialog?

Eventually, you can create a simple app shortcut, with enabled "Run as administrator" option (Properties >> Shortcut >> Advanced >> Run as administrator" check box). But then, if you start it, there will appear UAC confirmation dialog, which must be manually confirmed. To eliminate this dialog, you must decrease the UAC level to "never notify".
Pavel Kudrys
Ranorex explorer at Descartes Systems

Please add these details to your questions:
  • Ranorex Snapshot. Learn how to create one >here<
  • Ranorex xPath of problematic element(s)
  • Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

tedel

Re: start Ranorex with admin rights in Jenkins

Post by tedel » Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:26 pm

When the Jenkins Agents run in Admin mode (started as admin) it starts all programs with admin rights. So when using an Jenkins Agent in admin Mode Ranorex shoulld be automatically started in admin mode.

You probalby will start Jenkins Agents via scheduled tasks after each reboot..there is an Option like "running with highest privileges".