suggestion to skip mouse movement and keypresses

Ranorex Studio, Spy, Recorder, and Driver.
jasong

suggestion to skip mouse movement and keypresses

Post by jasong » Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:01 am

I have a suggestion that the code generation have the option of generating non mouse movement and clicks and rely instead of focus, ids and methods like ButtonClick (Python).

Obviously there will be cases where mouse use is required like the great new feature of automating the calendar. However, even this can be turned into a text entry by skipping the mouse movement and clicks.

The same could be said for dropdowns and other controls as well.

Thanks again for a great product.

Jason

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Support Team » Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:43 pm

If I get you right, you want to record mouse clicks that are turned into non-mouse actions (like keyboard or element default actions) when replaying.

Turning mouse clicks into keyboard events is too complex since the keyboard actions that are equivalent to a specific mouse action depend on the used controls.

The recorder uses mouse clicks as its the only thing that will work with every control and element. One could use the ElementDoDefaultAction method for elements instead, but there are several elements that do not support a default action (especially those in 3rd party controls).

We could implement an option in the RanorexRecorder that invokes DoDefaultAction methods instead of mouse clicks. I'll add that to the requested features list. :)

Regards,

Alex
Ranorex Support Team

jasong

Post by jasong » Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:48 pm

I have used ButtonClick using the handle of the button. This was by using RanorexSpy to get the handle and in the script use the parent form.

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Support Team » Thu Nov 08, 2007 3:44 pm

The ButtonClick method simulates a mouse click onto the control without actually moving the mouse. Though the mouse isn't moving, the control will be focused by the method (focus is usually needed to click a control).

Alex
Ranorex Support Team