Suggestions for setting up Automated Regression suite

Ask general questions here.
ricks

Suggestions for setting up Automated Regression suite

Post by ricks » Wed May 25, 2016 5:20 pm

I am a fairly new programmer and have been designing tests (using code modules) with Ranorex for about 8 months. My boss has a master plan to build an automated Regression testing suite but he doesn't really know anything about Ranorex.

What he would ideally like to be able to do is to drop a new version of our product's exectuable into a shared folder, have another piece of software recognize that the exe has been placed in that folder, which would then trigger the Ranorex tests and then have a report(or link to a report) sent via email or slack to indicate the results.

Does anyone have any suggestions of what would be a good way to implement this? Thanks in advance for any help that you can offer.

Martin

Re: Suggestions for setting up Automated Regression suite

Post by Martin » Thu May 26, 2016 12:09 pm

Continues Integration

Create a job that check a specific folder for new files (or the last update date-time for them) and if correct match is found trigger another job that will start the test solution.

krstcs
Ranorex Guru

Post by krstcs » Thu May 26, 2016 1:31 pm

Agreed, use the right tool for the job. In this case, you could do it with Ranorex, but it wouldn't be easy and there are already free CI tools out there (like Jenkins) that can do everything you are wanting.
Shortcuts usually aren't...

Gh15ty

Post by Gh15ty » Thu May 26, 2016 5:34 pm

You could look at the new ranorex remote functionality in 6.0. Straight forward and might be enough for the moment.

Only downside is that there is a manual step involved in executing the tests as apposed to them being done automatically after each new deployment, but apart from installing the agents, there is very little setup needed.

ricks

Post by ricks » Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:59 pm

I do like the functionality of the Ranorex Agent. What about the possibility of using Ranorex to automate a "test" that loads up a Ranorex solution in Ranorex Studio and then runs the test on a Ranorex Agent? I'm just trying to think outside of the box as automation combined with Ranorex Agent would be very nice.

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Support Team » Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:14 pm

Hi ricks,

Unfortunately, there won't be a way to implement such scenario because it is not possible to automate Ranorex Studio itself. All components are locked and hidden to Ranorex Spy.

Sincerely,
Johannes

krstcs
Ranorex Guru

Post by krstcs » Fri Jun 03, 2016 2:27 pm

As we've said, you should be using a real continuous integration (CI) solution like Jenkins (it's free!!). The current Ranorex Remote Agent functionality is limited and will not provide the type of functionality that you are wanting (it's intended for use by the test developer for running single tests remotely to allow for debugging and development at the same time). Jenkins, on the other hand, can be made to handle just about anything you can think of.
Shortcuts usually aren't...

ricks

Post by ricks » Mon Jun 06, 2016 5:27 pm

Thanks! I think the plan is to go with something like Jenkins (eventually) It is in the early stages right now and my boss is trying to get me to set up the functionality in stages and gradually progress into a full blown CI system. May just have to jump in to the deep end right away and start playing around with Jenkins. Thanks again for all the help!