Support of IE11

Ask general questions here.
Patrik

Support of IE11

Post by Patrik » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:33 am

Hello,
since which Ranorex version is IE11 supported ?
Thanks in advance,
Patrik

krstcs

Re: Support of IE11

Post by krstcs » Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:41 pm

Please look at the release notes:
http://www.ranorex.com/download/release-notes.html

I do not believe IE11 is supported at this time since it was just released last month and Ranorex has not had time to integrate support for it into their release. I would guess that it will be supported in one of the next few patches (4.1.3 or 4.1.4, maybe).
Shortcuts usually aren't...

Patrik

Post by Patrik » Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:50 pm

The "problem" is that the support of IE versions is never mentioned in the release notes -- so even there is no entry for support of IE10, although Ranorex supports IE10 for a long time.

So i can imagine that the existing versions already supports IE11, because there is no technology change wihtin IE (as they are in e.g. in each FF version) ?

krstcs

Post by krstcs » Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:09 pm

You are correct, IE is not mentioned, and perhaps it should be.

Unfortunately, there ARE technology changes between versions of IE so that may not be a safe assumption. IE8 used a completely different engine than 9/10/11. However, it could be that because IE is integrated into the OS, the DOM structure of the pages is easily accessible to Ranorex without an add-in, as is required for other browsers.
Shortcuts usually aren't...

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Support Team » Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:45 pm

IE 11 is fully supported by Ranorex. As krstcs correctly figured, retrieving the DOM from IE is a bit easier since it is tightly coupled with the OS and MS usually provides backwards compatibility support.

There is one probable issue with the performance of IE11: Make sure that the "Enable Enhanced Protected Mode" is turned of in the Advanced tab of the Internet Options. Otherwise the Ranorex IE addon will not work and automation performance will be down by at least factor 10.
IE11_Enhanced_Protected_Mode.PNG
Regards,
Alex
Ranorex Team
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

AndyS

Post by AndyS » Wed May 13, 2015 10:49 pm

I have disabled the Enhanced Protected Mode in IE 11 however my scripts are still running slow. Specifically when selecting drop downs there is a noticable delay now since upgrading to IE 11 for internal testing.

I went into the Add Ons menu in IE 11 and the Ranorex Add On is showing as Enabled. Is there anything else that can be done to investigate my performance issues?

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Post by odklizec » Thu May 14, 2015 6:59 am

Hi,

What version of Ranorex are you using? There was a known issue (fixed in 5.3.2) causing a significant slowdown while accessing HTML elements. If you are using anything older than 5.3.2, try to upgrade to latest version.
Pavel Kudrys
Ranorex explorer at Descartes Systems

Please add these details to your questions:
  • Ranorex Snapshot. Learn how to create one >here<
  • Ranorex xPath of problematic element(s)
  • Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

AndyS

Post by AndyS » Fri May 15, 2015 6:05 pm

I am currently on version 5.3.2. It seems to be really slow when selecting drop downs now since upgrading to IE 11.

We use the Set Value action to select an element in our drop down lists. The values of the drop down are set to a variable which is read from a data file.

Previously this script ran as fast as page would load but now there is a significant delay when Drop Downs are involved.

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Support Team » Mon May 18, 2015 3:07 pm

Hi AndyS,

Could you post a report including the log message of the specific Set Value action?
This would help us to get a better feeling how slow it is and if there is anything which could have an influence on the performance.

Thanks,
Markus

AndyS

Post by AndyS » Tue May 19, 2015 5:41 pm

Hi Markus,

I have attached a log file report showing the Set Value action. Its the last step and as you can see I abort the test 10 seconds later.

Let me know if you need anything else.

Thanks,
Andy

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Post by odklizec » Wed May 20, 2015 2:18 pm

Hi Andy,

One suggestion. Could you please check what's your actual Target CPU setting? If "Any CPU", change it to 32bit (as suggested here: http://www.ranorex.com/forum/search-for ... low#p31416).
It seems that Any CPU has still some negative speed impact on HTML elements.
TargetCPU.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pavel Kudrys
Ranorex explorer at Descartes Systems

Please add these details to your questions:
  • Ranorex Snapshot. Learn how to create one >here<
  • Ranorex xPath of problematic element(s)
  • Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

AndyS

Post by AndyS » Wed May 20, 2015 10:27 pm

Thanks odklizec,

I checked my project compiling settings and its already set to 32 bit. Maybe I should try to re-record these tests to see if it improves?

AndyS

Post by AndyS » Thu May 21, 2015 11:18 pm

One thing I didn't mention is that while my scripts are running I get the pop up telling me there is a Ranorex Technology Limitation.

The script logs show a warning at the beginning as well asking me to make sure you have the Ranorex Add on Installed and enabled.

I checked again and this time the add-on shows as Incompatible?

Name Ranorex.Plugin.TridentIpc.RanorexAddon
Publisher Ranorex GmbH
Status Incompatible
Architecture 32-bit

What can I do to fix this?

Thanks,
Andy

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Support Team » Tue May 26, 2015 2:58 pm

Hi Andy,

Normally an IE addon is just shown as incompatible when the "Enhanced Protected Mode" is enabled.
If you are sure it is disabled it may also be that you are using an older version of the Ranorex IE addon.
So please do the following, close all IE instances, uninstall Ranorex, restart you machine and install Ranorex with the Ranorex-X.exe again.
Please do let me know if that solves the issue, and please also double check the version number shown for the Ranorex IE plugin.

Thanks,
Markus