system.accessviolationexception at the start of Ranorex

Ask general questions here.
ayat

system.accessviolationexception at the start of Ranorex

Post by ayat » Thu May 12, 2016 10:26 pm

I installed the evaluation version of ranorex since 2 days, but i still not able to use it because the fatal error below :

I tryed to unstall ranorex and run it as administrator but this error message still appear.

System.AccessViolationException: Tentative de lecture ou d'écriture de mémoire protégée. Cela indique souvent qu'une autre mémoire est endommagée.
---STACKTRACE---
System.AccessViolationException: Tentative de lecture ou d'écriture de mémoire protégée. Cela indique souvent qu'une autre mémoire est endommagée.
ICSharpCode.SharpDevelop.Sda.CallHelper.RunWorkbenchInternal(Object settings) +0x9c
ICSharpCode.SharpDevelop.Sda.CallHelper.RunWorkbench(WorkbenchSettings settings) +0x32
ICSharpCode.SharpDevelop.Sda.SharpDevelopHost.RunWorkbench(WorkbenchSettings settings) +0x1e
ICSharpCode.SharpDevelop.SharpDevelopMain.RunApplication() +0x24a
ICSharpCode.SharpDevelop.SharpDevelopMain.Run(String[] args) +0x86
ICSharpCode.SharpDevelop.SharpDevelopMain.Main(String[] args) +0xb

---ORIGINAL STACKTRACE---
à ICSharpCode.SharpDevelop.Sda.CallHelper.RunWorkbenchInternal(Object settings)
à ICSharpCode.SharpDevelop.Sda.CallHelper.RunWorkbench(WorkbenchSettings settings)
à ICSharpCode.SharpDevelop.Sda.SharpDevelopHost.RunWorkbench(WorkbenchSettings settings)
à ICSharpCode.SharpDevelop.SharpDevelopMain.RunApplication()
à ICSharpCode.SharpDevelop.SharpDevelopMain.Run(String[] args)
à ICSharpCode.SharpDevelop.SharpDevelopMain.Main(String[] args)

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Re: system.accessviolationexception at the start of Ranorex

Post by odklizec » Fri May 13, 2016 9:11 am

Hi,

I guess you tried to install and run recently released 6.0? Have you installed it on a physical or virtual machine? I've experienced a similar error on Oracle VirtualBox VM, but it starts fine on my physical machine.

What OS and .Net version do you have installed? Ranorex 6.0 requires .Net framework 4.0 or higher. So if you are using lower .Net version, try to update it.

If you are experiencing this error even after updating .Net (on a physical machine), I would suggest to uninstall 6.0 and try the previous 5.4.6 instead. Sadly, there seems to be couple of unsolved problems in 6.0, which make the recently released version less than optimal both for trial and production purposes. For me, it's impossible to debug anything, because of number of exception thrown during debugging.

On the other hand, tests seem run fine in 6.0 without attached debugger and after updating all code errors and warnings, caused by obsolete/renamed/removed Ranorex methods. I just cannot debug my tests right now ;)
Pavel Kudrys
Ranorex explorer at Descartes Systems

Please add these details to your questions:
  • Ranorex Snapshot. Learn how to create one >here<
  • Ranorex xPath of problematic element(s)
  • Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

ayat

Post by ayat » Fri May 13, 2016 2:16 pm

Hi,

thank you for your answer.
in fact, I use an old version of windows (vista) and i have a recent versions of .NET.
I installed the 5.4.6 release.
it may be due to my OS?

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Post by odklizec » Fri May 13, 2016 2:33 pm

Hi,

It's hard to say if it's caused by Vista, but honestly, I would never consider using Vista for anything serious. It's probably better to use XP then? :) OK, since you tried 5.4.6, maybe you can give the 6.0 a shot? It's based on much more modern SharpDevelop 4.x and it may have a possitive side effect also on your issue? But seriously, you should forget about Vista ;)

BTW, there seems to be similar errors reported at SharpDevelop forum. Check for example this post and try the solution mentioned in last post:
http://community.sharpdevelop.net/forums/t/4292.aspx

You can find the mentioned files at this path:
C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\RanorexStudio5\layouts

Eventually, try this one and use .Net 3.5:
http://community.sharpdevelop.net/forums/t/10974.aspx
It's probably better to use .Net 3.5, which is the highest officially supported .Net version for SharpDevelop 3.2, based on which is built Ranorex 5.x.
Pavel Kudrys
Ranorex explorer at Descartes Systems

Please add these details to your questions:
  • Ranorex Snapshot. Learn how to create one >here<
  • Ranorex xPath of problematic element(s)
  • Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

ayat

Post by ayat » Sat May 14, 2016 10:15 pm

Hi,

Thank you for your answer.
I put Vista by mistake in fact I have XP on my old machine.
I applied your advice but I still have the same error message.
Also, I can not find the download link of Ranorex 6.0.

Thank you alot.

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Support Team » Thu May 19, 2016 2:04 pm

Hi ayat,

In order to overcome this issue, please navigate to %appdata%/RanorexStudio5 and delete all files in this directory.

Furthermore, you could try to uninstall Ranorex and your .NET Framework from your machine, reboot it and install the latest version of Ranorex.

If this doesn't help you, please write an email with the exact description of your problem to [email protected].

I'm looking forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards,
Matthias