Task failed because "AxImp.exe" was not found when migrating code from Ranorex 5 to Ranorex 7 or Ranorex 8

Ask general questions here.
chiranthurs

Task failed because "AxImp.exe" was not found when migrating code from Ranorex 5 to Ranorex 7 or Ranorex 8

Post by chiranthurs » Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:14 pm

Hi All,
I am getting the below error while opening my Ranorex automation code scripted in Ranorex 5 on Ranorex 7 or Ranorex 8. Please help.

Task failed because "AxImp.exe" was not found, or the correct Microsoft Windows SDK is not installed. The task is looking for "AxImp.exe" in the "bin" subdirectory beneath the location specified in the InstallationFolder value of the registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SDKs\NETFXSDK\4.6\WinSDK-NetFx40Tools-x86. You may be able to solve the problem by doing one of the following: 1) Install the Microsoft Windows SDK. 2) Install Visual Studio 2010. 3) Manually set the above registry key to the correct location. 4) Pass the correct location into the "ToolPath" parameter of the task. (MSB3091) - C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\14.0\bin\Microsoft.Common.CurrentVersion.targets:2398,5

Regards,
Chiranth

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Re: Task failed because "AxImp.exe" was not found when migrating code from Ranorex 5 to Ranorex 7 or Ranorex 8

Post by odklizec » Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:57 am

Hi,

It sounds like a corrupted .net installation or missing/corrupted redistributable files?

How exactly did you upgrade Ranorex? Please try to completely uninstall Ranorex and install it again with setup.exe file (not MSI file!). If this does not help, try to reinstall .Net and all redistributable files mentioned here:
https://www.ranorex.com/help/latest/ran ... uirements/
Pavel Kudrys
Ranorex explorer at Descartes Systems

Please add these details to your questions:
  • Ranorex Snapshot. Learn how to create one >here<
  • Ranorex xPath of problematic element(s)
  • Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

chiranthurs

Re: Task failed because "AxImp.exe" was not found when migrating code from Ranorex 5 to Ranorex 7 or Ranorex 8

Post by chiranthurs » Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:26 am

Hi Odklizec,

Sorry for the late reply, I installed the Ranorex 7 by downloading the installable file available in the Ranorex Website and installed it as per the instructions and guidelines. And when i open my project that was scripted in Ranorex 5 version, its giving this error. Even my peers have tried a lot to trouble shoot this issue by installing the Windows SDK's, manipulating the registry files but all this have failed. They even spoke to the Ranorex help desk people but they too could not give a proper solution to it. Its very surprising to me that something that builds and works perfectly fine on Ranorex 5 fails to build on any other higher versions of ranorex. Please help us as we need to have all our Ranorex 5 projects working on the latest Ranorex Versions to make use of the latest features and updates.

Thanks,
Chiranth

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Post by odklizec » Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:03 am

Hi,

Honestly, it's not a complete surprise (to me) that something created in v5 is not working with v8. You see, v5 is more than 2 and half years old and no longer supported. And I seriously doubt even Ranorex folks ever tried to upgrade such old project with Ranorex 8? There were 3 major and countless of minor versions released between v5 and v8. And some of them contained "breaking" changes and a lot of API changed and some API methods even disappeared! And while I fully sympathize with you, your situation a good example why you should always update Ranorex incrementally, instead of making such big jumps. If nothing else, it costs time and money ;)

My suggestion to you is to get your last working version of solution (created in v5), check if it really works with v5 and then update it with v6, then v7 and finally v8. However, I still think that the problem is with your computer and corrupted installation of .Net or runtime libraries. Ranorex changed the .Net requirements several times (between v5 and v8) and now it expects .Net 4.5.2 or higher. Have you tried the upgraded solution on another PC?
Pavel Kudrys
Ranorex explorer at Descartes Systems

Please add these details to your questions:
  • Ranorex Snapshot. Learn how to create one >here<
  • Ranorex xPath of problematic element(s)
  • Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration