Task failed because "AxImp.exe" was not found when migrating code from Ranorex 5 to Ranorex 7 or Ranorex 8

Ask general questions here.
chiranthurs

Task failed because "AxImp.exe" was not found when migrating code from Ranorex 5 to Ranorex 7 or Ranorex 8

Post by chiranthurs » Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:14 pm

Hi All,
I am getting the below error while opening my Ranorex automation code scripted in Ranorex 5 on Ranorex 7 or Ranorex 8. Please help.

Task failed because "AxImp.exe" was not found, or the correct Microsoft Windows SDK is not installed. The task is looking for "AxImp.exe" in the "bin" subdirectory beneath the location specified in the InstallationFolder value of the registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SDKs\NETFXSDK\4.6\WinSDK-NetFx40Tools-x86. You may be able to solve the problem by doing one of the following: 1) Install the Microsoft Windows SDK. 2) Install Visual Studio 2010. 3) Manually set the above registry key to the correct location. 4) Pass the correct location into the "ToolPath" parameter of the task. (MSB3091) - C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\14.0\bin\Microsoft.Common.CurrentVersion.targets:2398,5

Regards,
Chiranth

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Re: Task failed because "AxImp.exe" was not found when migrating code from Ranorex 5 to Ranorex 7 or Ranorex 8

Post by odklizec » Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:57 am

Hi,

It sounds like a corrupted .net installation or missing/corrupted redistributable files?

How exactly did you upgrade Ranorex? Please try to completely uninstall Ranorex and install it again with setup.exe file (not MSI file!). If this does not help, try to reinstall .Net and all redistributable files mentioned here:
https://www.ranorex.com/help/latest/ran ... uirements/
Pavel Kudrys
Ranorex explorer at Descartes Systems

Please add these details to your questions:
  • Ranorex Snapshot. Learn how to create one >here<
  • Ranorex xPath of problematic element(s)
  • Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

chiranthurs

Re: Task failed because "AxImp.exe" was not found when migrating code from Ranorex 5 to Ranorex 7 or Ranorex 8

Post by chiranthurs » Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:26 am

Hi Odklizec,

Sorry for the late reply, I installed the Ranorex 7 by downloading the installable file available in the Ranorex Website and installed it as per the instructions and guidelines. And when i open my project that was scripted in Ranorex 5 version, its giving this error. Even my peers have tried a lot to trouble shoot this issue by installing the Windows SDK's, manipulating the registry files but all this have failed. They even spoke to the Ranorex help desk people but they too could not give a proper solution to it. Its very surprising to me that something that builds and works perfectly fine on Ranorex 5 fails to build on any other higher versions of ranorex. Please help us as we need to have all our Ranorex 5 projects working on the latest Ranorex Versions to make use of the latest features and updates.

Thanks,
Chiranth

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Post by odklizec » Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:03 am

Hi,

Honestly, it's not a complete surprise (to me) that something created in v5 is not working with v8. You see, v5 is more than 2 and half years old and no longer supported. And I seriously doubt even Ranorex folks ever tried to upgrade such old project with Ranorex 8? There were 3 major and countless of minor versions released between v5 and v8. And some of them contained "breaking" changes and a lot of API changed and some API methods even disappeared! And while I fully sympathize with you, your situation a good example why you should always update Ranorex incrementally, instead of making such big jumps. If nothing else, it costs time and money ;)

My suggestion to you is to get your last working version of solution (created in v5), check if it really works with v5 and then update it with v6, then v7 and finally v8. However, I still think that the problem is with your computer and corrupted installation of .Net or runtime libraries. Ranorex changed the .Net requirements several times (between v5 and v8) and now it expects .Net 4.5.2 or higher. Have you tried the upgraded solution on another PC?
Pavel Kudrys

• Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

alpesh.dhakad

Post by alpesh.dhakad » Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:58 am

Hi, I am also facing same issue while migrating from 8.1.1 to 8.3.1
Please help on it.

Task failed because "AxImp.exe" was not found, or the correct Microsoft Windows SDK is not installed. The task is looking for "AxImp.exe" in the "bin" subdirectory beneath the location specified in the InstallationFolder value of the registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v8.0A\WinSDK-NetFx40Tools-x86. You may be able to solve the problem by doing one of the following: 1) Install the Microsoft Windows SDK. 2) Install Visual Studio 2010. 3) Manually set the above registry key to the correct location. 4) Pass the correct location into the "ToolPath" parameter of the task. (MSB3091)

My machine has below configuration:
Windows 7 Enterprise Service Pack 1
Microsoft .Net Framework 4.7
Window SDK 10.1.162999.15
Microsoft Visual Studio 2017

Please help on it.

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Post by odklizec » Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:20 am

Hi,

Have you tried any of the suggested steps from error message (installing correct SDK or modifying registry)? The error is most probably not caused by Ranorex itself, but by corrupted .net/visual studio libs or not installed SDK? Check for example this post, discussing this issue:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/213 ... -build-a-m
Pavel Kudrys

• Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

alpesh.dhakad

Post by alpesh.dhakad » Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:11 am

Hi,

I have already mentioned the version names for SDK and .Net framework installed on my machine. Also I manually set registry key as "InstallationFolder" with value "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v10.0A\bin\NETFX 4.7 Tools\".

But still we are getting error as Task failed because "AxImp.exe" was not found. :(

Also, I observed that Ranorex is using MSBuild version 15.4.8.50001 from "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Enterprise\MSBuild\15.0\Bin".

Please let me know what's wrong.

My machine has below configuration:
Windows 7 Enterprise Service Pack 1
Microsoft .Net Framework 4.7
Window SDK 10.1.162999.15
Microsoft Visual Studio 2017

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Post by odklizec » Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:38 am

Hi,

Have you tried to reinstall the sdk and/or visual studio? Have you read the link I posted? Unfortunately, the problem appears to be a computer specific. There must be something wrong with either the Visual Studio or SDK installation. As it looks, it's a quite frequent msbuild/visual studio/SDK-related problem...
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/321 ... ng-msbuild
https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forum ... m=tfsbuild

BTW, does the same happen with every solution you try or just a specific one? Have you tried a new solution?
Pavel Kudrys

• Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

alpesh.dhakad

Post by alpesh.dhakad » Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:52 am

Hi,
We tried this on 4 different machine following steps in the links but not able to resolve. So, could you please help on it.
Is it possible to have a WebEx call or please suggest any other medium to do the same ?

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Post by odklizec » Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:14 am

Hi,

I would suggest you to contact Ranorex support, via their support form:
https://www.ranorex.com/support-query/

It seems the problem is not directly Ranorex-related, but most probably something VS/.Net/Windows SDK-related? Google returns many posts regarding this issue, so maybe there is a solution amongst all of these posts? ;)
https://www.google.com/search?q=%22Task ... =firefox-b
Pavel Kudrys

• Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

alpesh.dhakad

Post by alpesh.dhakad » Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:55 am

Hi,

While identifying issue we found that project files created earlier in Ranorex 8.1.1 are not getting properly converted in 8.3.1.
And due to this mentioned error is observed for 8.3.1.

We tried to build new solution which is created in 8.3.1 version is working fine. But somehow converted project from 8.1.1 to 8.3.1 by Ranorex are not getting built.

Can you suggest any solution on this?
Do we need to upgrade projects from v8.1 to v8.2 & then v8.3?
If yes kindly provide link to download v8.2 .

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Post by odklizec » Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:34 am

Hi,

I think the best you can do is to create a support ticket here:
https://www.ranorex.com/support-query/

There is nothing mentioned in the release notes, about the need of incremental updates. Usually, it's OK to jump from any old version to new one. Ranorex should handle this with conversion of old solution to new one.

If you want, you can get any previous Ranorex version here:
https://www.ranorex.com/download-archive/

My guess is, that there is a reference in old solution (either added by Ranorex or you), which is not in new one, created with 8.3.1? Could you please check if there are no "custom-added" references in old solution? Simply compare the list of references in both solutions.
Pavel Kudrys

• Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Support Team » Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:10 am

Hi,

The issue was resolved by installing Visual Studio 2010.

Sincerely,
Robert

chiranthurs

Post by chiranthurs » Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:06 pm

Hi Robert,

Thanks for the support you have given me in resolving this issue over the last few weeks. Finally, after installing the visual studio 2010 we were able to resolve this issue :D .

Just wanted to know from your end if this issue will be fixed/resolved from Ranorex team by including it as a dependency in any upcoming releases of Ranorex 8.x version? Instead of we manually having to install visual studio 2010. It would be easier for us to migrate our code from one version to another without any worries.

Regards,
Chiranth

ahoisl
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Post by ahoisl » Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:19 am

I'm sorry, but we must not and consequently will not include this VS component due to legal reasons.

Regards,
Alex
Ranorex Team