Technology Limitation Warning Message

Ask general questions here.
Ciege

Technology Limitation Warning Message

Post by Ciege » Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:41 am

Hi all...

Using Ranorex version: 5.3.0.22324 and IE 11 and OS version: Windows 7 Service Pack 1 64bit I get the following technology limitation warning and for the life of me I cannot figure out how to resolve it...

Code: Select all

The control seems to be a Windows Forms control, but was not recognized as such, possibly due to a security limitation. UI element identification capabilities for this control may be limited.
If this control is a WinForms control, please make sure that the automating process has the rights to access the automated application. Otherwise, please ignore this limitation.
The following website provides more information on this technology limitation:
http://www.ranorex.com/support/user-guide-20/technology-instrumentation/general-troubleshooting.html#c3250
(This message is only shown once per report.) 
I start the browser with:

Host.Local.OpenBrowser(URL, browserType, "", false, true);
It happens when I search for the browser using the following:

HDWebForm = Host.Local.FindSingle<Ranorex.WebDocument>("/dom[@caption~'^(?i:" + DOMTitle + ")$']");

This is not a WinForm so I do not understand why Ranorex is wanting to treat it as such. My code that follows the technology limitation all works fine it's just an ugly warning that I need gone.

None of the tips on the help page (http://www.ranorex.com/support/user-gui ... html#c3250) talk about this specific warning and I cannot seem to find any response to it on the forums.

Thanks,
Ciege...
If this or any response has helped you, please reply to the thread stating that it worked so other people with a similar issue will know how you fixed your issue!

Ciege...

krstcs

Re: Technology Limitation Warning Message

Post by krstcs » Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:52 pm

I've had similar issues. Do you have any other software open when running the test?

The method you use will require Ranorex to check every form/dom under host until if finds the match for the XPath, so it is probably hitting some other form that is a WinForm object and throwing the error.

ETA: Instead of using a find for you first object, you could just instantiate a WebDocument with the given XPath. Then validate exists on it. This will do the same thing, but it might not throw the warning.
Shortcuts usually aren't...

Ciege

Post by Ciege » Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:46 pm

Yeah, the method I use does check for any DOM object and then verifies it based on an attribute. Used it for years with no issues.

As a test I changed the code to set the WebDocument object directly, but still get the technology limitation warning.

Ranorex.WebDocument MyDOM = @"/dom[@caption='FOO']";
If this or any response has helped you, please reply to the thread stating that it worked so other people with a similar issue will know how you fixed your issue!

Ciege...

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Support Team » Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:53 pm

Hi Ciege,

Most probably the reason for this message is Ranorex Studio itself.
We are working on a fix for this, so it should no longer occur in the upcoming bug-fix release.
Apologies for the circumstances.

Regards,
Markus

krstcs

Post by krstcs » Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:57 pm

Thanks Markus, that's what I figured.
Shortcuts usually aren't...

Ciege

Post by Ciege » Thu Mar 12, 2015 4:00 pm

Great, thanks Markus...

I've moved on to a new company and am in the process of demoing some UI automation for them using Ranorex. So having the warning message is no big deal right now, I just couldnt explain it.

Ciege...

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Support Team » Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:49 pm

A (not-so-)short explanation: :D
You are usually seeing this warning message if Ranorex does not have the rights to access a Windows Forms application, e.g. an application started with administrator rights when the automation runs with non-admin rights.

With Windows 7 and UAC turned on, that Windows Forms application can be Ranorex Studio (or Spy/Recorder) itself, because (by default) Ranorex tools run with a slightly elevated security profile.

Try closing all Ranorex tools when running your automation. Or if you see this warning when running tests from Ranorex Studio, try starting Studio as administrator, then all processes started by Ranorex Studio will inherit the elevated privileges and have no problem accessing Studio.

We will shortly ship a bug fix which will cause that limitation not being shown for Ranorex tool processes (Studio/Spy/Recorder) and which will improve the error message to also state the process name.

Regards,
Alex
Ranorex Team

Ciege

Post by Ciege » Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:18 pm

There it is! That's the answer...
I had Spy open. When I closed Spy I did not receive the technology limitation message.
Thanks for the "(not-so-)short explanation"! It was quite useful!

Ciege...

testautomator

Post by testautomator » Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:25 am

Yes!! This also explained my question on this warning message. FYI: I am using Rx 5.3. Thanks..

ruchik

Post by ruchik » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:25 am

Hi,

I am getting the error:"The automating process does not have the required security permissions to access the process 'Ax32'. UI element identification capabilities for controls in that process are limited." while tracking the object in my application.

Can you please provide solution for the same. What needs to be done.