Test Application Lockup When Ranorex Tries to Interact with Form Controls

Technology specific object identification, supported applications, web technologies, and 3rd party controls.
sheafox

Test Application Lockup When Ranorex Tries to Interact with Form Controls

Post by sheafox » Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:22 am

I am having an issue where the application I am testing is locking up when Ranorex tries to interact with the controls on the form. The lockup is not consistent, it happens about 60 to 70 % of the time. So far it has only happened on this form. Sometimes it is on the first textbox, the second, or any other control. I have to kill the application completely. Any suggestions on why this happens or how to diagnosis this issue?

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Re: Test Application Lockup When Ranorex Tries to Interact with Form Controls

Post by odklizec » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:07 am

Hi,

Unfortunately, it's pretty hard to tell what's wrong, without seeing your app under test and the problem itself. This is too AUT-specific issue, which I would suggest to discuss directly with Ranorex support, ideally via remote session, during which you can show them the problem. So go ahead and create the support query here:
https://www.ranorex.com/support-query/

Generally speaking, this issue could be caused/eliminated by one of the Ranorex settings, or it may be completely OS/runtime lib/.net related issue? Eventually, it could be something caused by your app? It's really hard to tell. Have you tried to reproduce it on another PC? Are you running the app and test on physical of VM PC? What Ranorex and OS version do you use? Could you please post a Ranorex snapshot of the app?
Pavel Kudrys
Ranorex explorer at Descartes Systems

Please add these details to your questions:
  • Ranorex Snapshot. Learn how to create one >here<
  • Ranorex xPath of problematic element(s)
  • Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

sheafox

Post by sheafox » Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:24 pm

I wonder if this is part of the problem:

DelphiAutomation.GetChildren: Exception of type 'Ranorex.Core.HwndInvokerException' was thrown. Window Handle: 6818502. Win32 Error: This operation returned because the timeout period expired.

krstcs

Post by krstcs » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:25 pm

I would suggest the next time you run your test, set the report level to DEBUG. That should catch the actual stacktrace of the exception events. If you will post that stacktrace it will help the Ranorex folks understand the issue a little better.

To change a single module's run to debug level reporting, right-click the "Run Module" button on the module tab (below the filename tabs).

To change a Test Suite or Test Case/Smart Folder's report level, right-click on the Suite/Case/Folder name in the *.rxtst file and select "Report level > Debug". You can set the Test Case/Smart Folder back to "Inherit" when done to make sure they are all using the Suite's level.
Shortcuts usually aren't...