Test Automation for metro app on win8

Bug reports.
phoenix

Test Automation for metro app on win8

Post by phoenix » Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:55 am

Hi,

In the forum I ever saw the tool support to record mouse click and keyboard for metro app on win8. I tried to install the tool on win8 8102 64bit. It requried to install .net framework 3.5. However win8 already pre-installed .net framework 4.5. After replace the .net framework, the tool can record mouse click and keyboard, but some advance functional like data source and move code to new module cannot work. And on win8 8220, it's not allowed to replace .net framework 4.5 with 3.5 so the tool cannot be installed successfully.

Could you share which version of win8 the tool can work with? And will the tool be upgraded to support win8 and don't need to replace .net framework?

Thanks,
Phoenix

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Test Automation for metro app on win8

Post by Support Team » Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:02 pm

Hi,
phoenix wrote:Could you share which version of win8 the tool can work with? And will the tool be upgraded to support win8 and don't need to replace .net framework?
The tool should work with the Developer Preview and the Consumer Preview. Of course we will fully support Windows 8 if the official version is available. Currently this is just a preview that Ranorex will work with Windows 8.
To enable the .Net Framework 3.5.1 you have to enable it in the Windows Feature Dialog. Therefore please take a look to following video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ELfaTk0 ... re=related

Regards,
Peter
Ranorex Team

phoenix

Post by phoenix » Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:51 am

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

I followed the guidance tried to install .net framework 3.5.1 by windows update on win8 8220 consumer preview. But cannot update successfully by windows update. So I follow the below guidance on the web to install it.
*****************************************************************************************************
How to install .net framework (version3.5.1 or latest)
Purpose: To solution the issue: Win 8 throwing an error 0x800F906 and says Windows Update cannot complete as of Network Issue.
Install .net framework in win8 :
step:
1. Copy the sxs folder from win8 ISO image (in the source folder),paste it on your local folder ,eg : c:\sources\sxs
2.Open c:\windows\system32folder, right click “ cmd.exe”,and select "Run as administrator";
3. Run the following command:
dism.exe /online /enable-feature /featurename:NetFX3 /Source:c:\sources\sxs
******************************************************************************************************
After run the above commands the .net frame work 3.5 will be enabled successfully. And Ranorex 3.2.1 can be installed as well.

However I met another issue, I can record the scripts by Ranorex but the recorded scripts cannot replay successfully. Always met the object abbribute cannot be found even it's be recorded by the tool. I just did very simple record, press windows key to go to metro start screen then cick desktop icon on the screen to go back to desktop. Also tried to use spy to replace the xpath with spied result, still doesn't work.

Could you help to check the reason?

Thanks,
Phoenix

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Support Team » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:30 pm

phoenix wrote:Could you help to check the reason?
Would it be possible to record us a video to check the behavior of Ranorex? Or even better would be to send or post us your solution.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Peter
Ranorex Team

phoenix

Post by phoenix » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:55 am

Hi,

After run Ranorex as administrator, the issue is resolved. The record and replay can work now on consumer preview now. But data source is still not working on those windows8 version. Is there any solution to make data source work?

Phoenix

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Support Team » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:01 am

Could you explain in detail what does not work with data sources?
Which data sources do not work? Does the simple data source work?
Is the data from the source shown in the "Preview Effective Data" dialog?

The data sources functionality in Ranorex Studio should actually not depend on the Windows version, neither on the .NET Framework version (except maybe for the connection to an SQL server).

Regards,
Alex
Ranorex Team

phoenix

Post by phoenix » Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:20 am

Hi,

The issue I met is when I just click Data Source button there is "Unexpected Exception Encountered" error dialog log as attached popped up which cause Ranorex stop working and need to be restarted. Please check attachment.

Regards,
Phoenix
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Support Team » Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:44 am

This bug should already be fixed with the upcoming service release Ranorex V3.2.2.
Thank you for reporting this issue!

Regards,
Alex
Ranorex Team