Test Automation

Ask general questions here.
Lucinda771

Test Automation

Post by Lucinda771 » Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:58 am

Hi all,
Doing research on Automated testing applications that do not require being a 'coder' developer.

I have found Leapwork, ranorex and tricentis which all have great reviews. The only one that states it is specific to D365 on prem is Leapwork.
Any other ideas, comments, etc. that can aid in my research would be appreciated.

Thanks.

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Re: Test Automation

Post by odklizec » Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:45 pm

Hi,

Regardless of what marketing materials for individual TA tools say, some coding skills are always required. Of course, you may start developing automated tests with just record&replay. But at some point in time, you will realise that using code is much more effective and that some things cannot be done without code at all. For example, it’s easy to validate one, two, or five inputs/labels on page with recording. But if there is 20, 30, 100 or more controls to validate, doing it with code is way more effective. In other words, a lot of things could be done with record&replay, but even more could be done with code or with a combination of recorded and coded approach. I would definitely not pick a TA tool based of code-less approach. Such tool could be pretty limited in coded area and this could be a real burden in long-term run ;)
Pavel Kudrys
Ranorex explorer at Descartes Systems

Please add these details to your questions:
  • Ranorex Snapshot. Learn how to create one >here<
  • Ranorex xPath of problematic element(s)
  • Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration