Test Case description is not shown correctly in Report

Bug reports.
lucian.teodorescu

Test Case description is not shown correctly in Report

Post by lucian.teodorescu » Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:22 am

Hi,

Sometimes (especially on large tests) the report is not properly displayed.
I want to address two issues:
- Expand/Collapse actions are "disabled due to performance reasons"
- Test Case description goes beyond report margins.

Please take a look at the attached screenshot.

Thanks,
Lucian
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lucian Teodorescu
NetSun Software

krstcs

Re: Test Case description is not shown correctly in Report

Post by krstcs » Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:33 pm

The first issue you addressed is intended, as it says, due to performance issues with larger tests and will most likely not be addressed anytime soon. There is a lot of data in test reports, especially for larger tests. If they did not disable the expansion feature it could cause other problems due to how long it would take.

If you don't want that limitation them you could make your tests smaller. You can, for instance, create a new project for each test case and limit the suite in each project to just the test case intended.

The second issue, which I would agree can be problematic, can be overcome by making your descriptions smaller, or by editing the report template.
Shortcuts usually aren't...

lucian.teodorescu

Post by lucian.teodorescu » Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:15 pm

Thanks krstcs for your observations.
My description need to detail a lot of info (like the required setup, steps to reproduce the bug, result interpretation etc.). So it's not likely to be any short to fit in one or two rows.

On the other hand I am very interested in your suggestion to run smaller tests. No matter how many projects I add, it seems that only one .rxtst is available (for the whole Test Suite). Having multiple configurations doesn't help me either: I want to run nightly regression tests with everything I've automated so far. This is why I start the whole test suite and indeed there is a huge report (hence the need for expand/collapse buttons).

So what are the best practices to accomplish this?

Thank you very much!
Lucian Teodorescu
NetSun Software

krstcs

Post by krstcs » Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:40 pm

When you add a project, the first option is the type of project. The default is a Ranorex Library. This is what you are probably adding.

Instead, choose a Ranorex Test Suite. To do that, select the C# folder (the top folder in the tree) in the left pane and select Ranorex Test Suite. Then name your project and hit OK. (Note: I'm not at my Ranorex PC right now, so I'm not sure the exact text of things.)

That should create a new project in your solution that has another test suite in it.
Shortcuts usually aren't...

lucian.teodorescu

Post by lucian.teodorescu » Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:33 pm

Great! It works like charm!
Thank you very much!
Lucian Teodorescu
NetSun Software