Test case vs recording

Best practices, code snippets for common functionality, examples, and guidelines.
jan

Test case vs recording

Post by jan » Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:56 am

Hello testers,

I am new to testing, so I did some reading and I would like ask some experienced testers about this problem I have about how to structure test suite.

Given that test case is step by step procedure how to test, should every recording be right under test case (in test suite)? The structure of the test suite then would be: Smart folder, which reflects test scenario (what to test) and under it there would be test case, which reflects the specific case. And under test case would be the recording itself.

Ranorex however, allows to have smart folders under test cases.

What is best practice then? How do you do that?

Thank you.
M.J.

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Re: Test case vs recording

Post by odklizec » Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:42 am

Hi,

In my opinion, "Test Case" should be used as top-level (test case) object. Smart Folder is just an envelope, with some 'Test Case' capabilities, but it's not actually counted in report in total number of failed test cases. Usually, Smart Folders are used as data connector-driven loops, 'conditional' folders, or simple envelopes, to make the test cases more readable.
TC_vs_SF.png
TC_vs_SF.png (21.86 KiB) Viewed 225 times
Recording (code) modules are just 'individual' steps. One recording can, of course, hold all TC steps. But it's highly recommended to make them as small and atomic as possible. The more steps you have in one recording, the less reusable such recording will be. So I'm personally not using more than 10 actions in one recording. Hope this helps a bit? ;)
Pavel Kudrys
Ranorex explorer at Descartes Systems

Please add these details to your questions:
  • Ranorex Snapshot. Learn how to create one >here<
  • Ranorex xPath of problematic element(s)
  • Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

jan

Re: Test case vs recording

Post by jan » Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:13 pm

Hello,

thank you for quick answer.

Well, it is not what I expected given the definition of Test case.

My recordings are short, that is why I thought, they might be test cases too. It would be better for report statistic too.

I will see, it is probably not that crucial.
Thanks
M.J.