test cases missing their data source

Bug reports.
martinsw

test cases missing their data source

Post by martinsw » Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:43 pm

Dear RST,

I have a Ranorex test suite loaded into Microsoft Visual Studio. When I want to modify any of the recordings in my solution, I retrieve the test suite from Visual Studio by performing a GET command. This downloads all the relevant files into the appropriate folders set up on my local drive. From here I can then edit them.

The problem is that, when I open the Ranorex solution file locally, all but one of the test cases have no data sources associated with them (see atachment). This is not correct as all test cases were linked to a an external (excel) data source when they were written and checked in to Visual Studio. What's puzzling me more is that the variables in each test case are declared as bound even though no data source exists for the particular test case.

When my manager opens the same solution file (I can say with confidence that it's the same because he downloads it from the same source from where I download mine - i.e. Microsoft Visual Studio), the data sources are all correctly linked to each of the test cases, as I would expect to be the case. Can you please let me know why this is occurring. The workaround is to re-associate the relevant data sources with each of the test cases but this association should be in place when the solution file is first opened.

Two main differences between my PC and my manager's is that he is running windows XP and i'm running windows 7. Also, he is running Ranorex version 3.1.2 whereas I am running the latest version (3.2).

Please let me know if you need any more information

Thanks,

Martin
Attachments
RANsolution.jpg
RANsolution.jpg (127.15 KiB) Viewed 1507 times

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: test cases missing their data source

Post by Support Team » Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:31 pm

Hi,

It sound like a timing issue to load the Test Suite. Did you try after opening the solution to open and close the Test Suite? Would it be possible to post us your Test Suite File or even better would be the entire solution? If you don't want to post it in our forum you could send the files to [email protected] or you could upload it to our FTP server. Did you try to open the solution with 3.1.2 on your computer?

Regards,
Peter
Ranorex Team

martinsw

Post by martinsw » Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:50 pm

Hi,

To answer your questions...
1) Did you try after opening the solution to open and close the Test Suite?
A1) Yes I did. However, when I re-opened the test suite the data connectors were still missing.

2) Did you try to open the solution with 3.1.2 on your computer
A2) Yes I did. When using Ranorex version 3.1.2 the solution opens with no issues seen i.e. all of the test cases are associated with their relevant data connectors. It is only when I install version 3.2 that the data connectors then disappear and my tests fail because the relevant variables are then not then fed into the tests. Note - not all the data connectors disappear which is all the more confusing.

The attached screenshot shows the difference when opening the solution using version 3.1.2 compared with 3.2. We have two additional PCs in the office that are still running Ranorex version 3.1.2. When I open the test solution on either of these machines they open correctly with the data connectors present.

Please advise. Thanks
Attachments
version3.2.jpg
version3.2.jpg (63.43 KiB) Viewed 1489 times
version3.1.2.jpg
version3.1.2.jpg (69.14 KiB) Viewed 1489 times

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Support Team » Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:52 pm

Hi,

I tried to reproduce it but I wasn't able to with one of our solutions. Would it be possible to post or send us this your solution to reproduce this issue?

Regards,
Peter
Ranorex Team

martinsw

Post by martinsw » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:13 pm

Hi,

There have been a few things about this query which I've found confusing. I am a fairly inexperienced user of Ranorex and probably didn't articulate the problem I was seeing particularly clearly.

I am now able to run my solution in Ranorex studio and on a standalone PC (with a Ranorex run time license)and all the relevant data sources and bindings are associated with the relevant test cases.

I had to re-select the data sources for the majority of the test cases in my solution the first time I tried to run the solution outside of Ranorex studio with version 3.2 installed (note: when I opened the solution in Ranorex studio all the test cases were correctly mapped to their data sources. It was only when running the solution outside of studio for the first time since installing the new version that the some of the mappings were missing). I didn't expect to have to do this, I thought all data sources would remain linked to their test cases despite the fact that I was running a new version of the software. In studio this did happen but outside of studio it did not.

What was confusing me was that some of my test cases were still correctly linked to their data source when running outside of studio but the data sources for other test cases were missing. I also didn't understand why the variables within the test cases that were missing their data sources appeared as "bound" rather than "unbound". When I ran a test with a missing data source, the tests failed because the variables were not bound. After the test had failed, the variables then appeared as "unbound" so i'm not sure why they initially appeared as "bound".

The bottom line is, since remapping the relvant data sources to their test cases I have not experienced any further problems. If you are unable to reproduce what I was seeing then I suggest we just leave this for now if you agree. If I experience similar problems when the next version of Ranorex is released then I'll let you know.

Thanks for your help.

Martin

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Support Team » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:31 am

Hi,

To reproduce this, please, if possible, send us the last version of your project stored with 3.1.x where everything was OK to [email protected].

Thank you
Regards,
Martin
Ranorex Support Team