Test data store

Ask general questions here.
symfony

Test data store

Post by symfony » Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:44 pm

Hi everyone,
I would like to know if Ranorex has some test data repository? For example, some other automation tools provide a feature usually called Store where one can save different types of data (object properties, files, database tables, etc.) which is used later in automated test cases as baseline data. For example, it would be possible to save the properties of a certain control (object) in the Store and in the automated test case script, compare the control(object) under test with the one stored in the Store. In this way, it is no longer necessary to hard code the test data in the scripts and all the baseline data is stored in one place. In case this type of feature is not provided by Ranorex, what are the approaches I should follow, in order to avoid to hard code baseline data in test case scripts? Is there a particular pattern to follow in this case?

Thank You

krstcs

Re: Test data store

Post by krstcs » Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:34 pm

Ranorex can do most, if not all, of what you are asking about.

You can find the documentation here, please have a look:
http://www.ranorex.com/support/user-guide-20.html

And, you can download a 30-day trial here, so you can play with it to see if it fits your needs:
http://www.ranorex.com/download.html

Ranorex is a .NET-based framework, and as such, has the full power of .NET behind it. The IDE (Ranorex Studio) is built on top of SharpDevelop. Each test is a .NET project (meaning you can add any file you want to the project in the IDE) and Ranorex produces .NET executable files for each test project.
Shortcuts usually aren't...

symfony

Post by symfony » Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:57 pm

Hello,
Thank you for information. We already have Ranorex licences, I just started implementation of test automation for one of our projects. I don't have previous experience with Ranorex but I have read the user manual before and I did not find any feature like the one I mentioned above (the Store feature, used to store baseline test data). Therefore, I would like to know the approaches other more experienced Ranorex users followed, if there is a certain pattern for this issue, or I have to implement such a store myself (I know about data Connectors but they do not help to much in this situation, they are mainly used for data driven testing, what I want is a store for baseline data, used only for validation). Any suggestions are welcome.
Thank You

mzperix

Post by mzperix » Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:14 pm

Hi symfony,

There is no built-in feature to save data generated in runtime easily for later reuse.

- You can use Global variables to store small data generated runtime. All of your test cases have access to this data, just bind the global variable to proper variable.

- You can use CSV dataconnector and some coding to store data that can be reused later. The data stored in CSV can be modified runtime and it owerwrites it's original value. Look the Ranorx.DataConnector class on manipulating data.

- For everything else, there is .NET :)

zero

Post by zero » Wed May 07, 2014 7:51 am

Hi,

I am also in the need for a similar feature like this. I want to create global testcase objects (Note: real objects not key/value pairs) that can be accessed in any testcase step. Any suggestions on how I could do that?

zero

Post by zero » Wed May 07, 2014 6:18 pm

I solved this problem by creating a singleton class that takes all my objects. This class can be accessed across all testcases.

symfony

Post by symfony » Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:32 am

Thank you for all suggestions. I also implemented something similar with zero approach (A bit different as I need to access different 'global' data in different test cases).