Test structure / heirarchy questions

Ask general questions here.
flashpoint

Test structure / heirarchy questions

Post by flashpoint » Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:45 pm

Just getting started, please excuse the basic question but I'm not quite clear on what all the different hierarchy levels are used for. I'm pretty clear on the levels/items within a test suite because they were well covered in the help, but above that at the top we have the Solution, followed by the Project, then the Test Suite. I guess my main question is what is the Project level useful for, why does it exist as a uniquely named level? Thanks.

Stub

Re: Test structure / heirarchy questions

Post by Stub » Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:04 am

In our test solution we have multiple Projects. One is a general utility library, another contains the re-usable Repositories and Code Modules. A third contains our actual application Test Suite(s) and some Code Modules very specific to those tests. A fourth contains our installer automation Repositories, Code Modules and associated Test Suite. Finally I have an experimentation project that I used early on while learning Ranorex - this does not get used now that I've leveled up significantly.

Sounds like you're already comfortable with the hierarchical test structure (I use a lot of Smart Folders personally, FWIW). I also use a rather deep folder structure inside each of my projects to organise my Code Modules.

Does that help answer your query?