Test Suites

Ranorex Studio, Spy, Recorder, and Driver.
j.early

Test Suites

Post by j.early » Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:07 pm

Hello all,

am on a roll with the topics these past few weeks but the help has been great so far.

I have now come across something funny and am not sure if its meant to be this way or not.

I have a test suit consisting of 2 test cases. When I hit "run". all 3 test cases start to run at the same time, which to me is a little mental due to the fact that each is a single test on the same app.

Is there a setting somewhere to correct this? or is it default action.

Cheers
J

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Test Suites

Post by Support Team » Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:00 am

Hi,

Test cases should never run at the same time. They are executed one after another. Maybe you can explain the exact behavior of your TestSuite in more detail. What makes you think that the test cases are executed simultaneously?

Regards,
Larissa
Ranorex Support Team

j.early

Post by j.early » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:56 pm

I have 2 test cases inside a suite.

Each one starts with a "kick off" script that starts the application. When I hit run on the suite, all 3 test cases start there own instance of the application. Happening randomly at the moment. Seen it 2 or 3 times yesterday, but not today :?

Another issue I have come across today is:

I created my scripts in vr 7.5.1 of our application and went to run them in vr 7.6. All required DLLs are in the correct location for Qt areas.

The objects are exactly the same, zero change made to this section of the app between build yet I have lost the object identification property's..

For example, below is the XPath taken from the Spy:

Code: Select all

[b]Vr 7.5 Standalone[/b]
/form[@title='No Data Set - Imaris x64']/element[@class='QWidget' and @instance='2']/menubar/menuitem[@accessiblename='File']

[b]Vr 7.6 Standalone [/b]
/form[@title='No Data Set - Imaris x64']/element[@class='QWidget' and @instance='0']/menubar/menuitem[@accessiblename='File']

Code: Select all

[b]7.5 and 7.6 Started at same time[/b]

[b]7.5[/b]
/form[@title='No Data Set - Imaris x64' and @processname='Imaris' and @class='QWidget' and @instance='1']/element[@class='QWidget' and @instance='2']/menubar/menuitem[@accessiblename='File']
[b]7.6[/b]
/form[@title='No Data Set - Imaris x64' and @processname='Imaris' and @class='QWidget' and @instance='2']/element[@class='QWidget' and @instance='0']/menubar/menuitem[@accessiblename='File']

This "instance" I think is causing the problem here and am not sure how to work around it.

Also, if I copy and paste the XPath from Spy into the repo, RanorexStuido cannot identify/find the object but the Spy clearly can.

Any clues cause am lost at the moment. This will affect a sale of Ranorex if it cannot be worked around sadly.

As always, thanks for your time
Regards
J

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Support Team » Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:34 am

Hi,

If you have 2 test cases and both open the same application (e.g. v7.5 and v7.6) and the path to each of the applications isn't modified in such way that it is unique Ranorex may not work correct since it operates on the element found first which is maybe not the desired one.
It is advisable to run for example testcase1 with v7.5 (Start App, operate, Close App) and when app closed start testcase2 with v7.6 (Start App, operate, Close App).

Is it part of your test that both versions are opened at the same time?
What is the aim of your test?

Kind Regards,
Larissa
Ranorex Support Team

j.early

Post by j.early » Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:40 am

The suite layout is as follows:

Test 001
Start App
Test File menu
Run wizard with defaults to create 3d rendered Spot objects on a OpenGL window
Validate the new image with generated items. (screenshot compare to previous run)
Close App

Test 002
Start App
Test File menu
Run wizard with defaults to create 3d rendered Surface objects on a OpenGL window
Validate the new image with generated items. (screenshot compare to previous run)
Close App

and same again for test 3.

I only edit the app path in the Start App recording.

All 3 tests kick of at the same time in a random fashion.

Note: our application is used to generate and visualise 3D render objects on datasets taken from a range of microscopes/cameras.
Thanks
J

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Support Team » Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:44 pm

Hi,

It is not possible that more than one Testcase is executed at a time. Parallelization is impossible. Are you sure all applications are closed in one testcase before staring another one?
To find out whats going wrong I'll need to see screenshots of your recordings/code modules and test suit.

Regards,
Larissa
Ranorex Support Team