Testing Microsoft Dynamix AX via Remote desktop and web connection

Ask general questions here.
Fais

Testing Microsoft Dynamix AX via Remote desktop and web connection

Post by Fais » Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:56 pm

Hi all,

I've been trying to automate some testcases to test Dynamics AX .
Biggest issue we have is that Ranorex does not recognize any id, elements ... on AX.
impact is that Ranorex will click on specific place (defined during record) even if it's wrong, since the screen resolution is changing time to time.

Is there any other way to retrieve any reference to AX application such as ID instead clicking on mouse location??

thanks in advance
Fais

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Re: Testing Microsoft Dynamix AX via Remote desktop and web connection

Post by odklizec » Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:41 am

Hi,

If i understand your problem right, you are trying to automate your SUT directly via remote desktop screen? That's unfortunately not possible. I mean, it's impossible to make RD automation reliable. As you already realized, the RD screen is just a huge image, with no recognizable controls. So, what you need to do, is to install and run Ranorex on the target system, which hosts your AX application you want to test. And then you need to create and run tests directly on that machine. There is no way around. RD screen is simply not automatable, no matter that tool you will use. And no, image-based automation is not usable in long term perspective ;)
Pavel Kudrys
Ranorex explorer at Descartes Systems

Please add these details to your questions:
  • Ranorex Snapshot. Learn how to create one >here<
  • Ranorex xPath of problematic element(s)
  • Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration