Testing mobile-view of website without real devices (User Agent Switcher)

Mobile Testing, Android App Testing.
julez90

Testing mobile-view of website without real devices (User Agent Switcher)

Post by julez90 » Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:21 am

Hello,

I'm searching for a way to test the mobile-view of an responsive website through all common browsers without real mobile devices or emulator. So it should be tested the desktop (Chrome, Firefox, IE) and mobile variant (Android, iOS).

When I'm setting the size of the browser window to the size of a mobile device display, the website would look / behave like the same as I would open it on a mobile device. So in that case I think it would be enough to resize the browser and additionally give the webserver the information that the client is a mobile device.

I've found some suggestions here that it would be a nice way to use an user agent switcher plugin to send the information to the webserver that I'm opening the website with an specific device / browser (e.g. iOS Safari) to get the expected result.

I'm actually not sure how to set up this procedure in Ranorex Studio. Do I have to activate the user agent switcher over the UI for each test or is there some data-driven approach possible for example by giving some commandline arguments to start the browser with an already activated and specific user agent?

Thanks in advance for any help and suggestions.

Best Regards
julez90

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Testing mobile-view of website without real devices (User Agent Switcher)

Post by Support Team » Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:39 pm

Hi!

Please contact us via the links below and we will be more than happy to further assist you with this! Kind Regards,
Ranorex Team