Testing OpenEdge (prowin.exe) programs

Ask general questions here.
KenBobPDX

Testing OpenEdge (prowin.exe) programs

Post by KenBobPDX » Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:32 pm

I am trying to write tests for an OpenEdge program called LumberTrack. It's mostly going well but at one point a top-level dialog box pops up that doesn't paint completely. It just hangs and Ranorex is unable to find the next field it's supposed to type into, so the test fails.

1) Has anyone tried to write tests that run Progress related applications? Specifically a test for an OpenEdge application that runs prowin.exe?
2) Does anyone know of a situation where a top-level modal dialog box is partially created causing the AUT to hang? If so, was there a solution?

Thanks in advance! I hope you all had a wonderful Holiday and wish you the best for 2019! :D

McTurtle

Re: Testing OpenEdge (prowin.exe) programs

Post by McTurtle » Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:11 pm

Hi KenBobPDX,

A dialog that does not "paint completely" sounds like something in your application hung. If your application freezes or crashes then this can present an issue to Ranorex as it can also make the Ranorex injector freeze or crash. Besides, it also seems that Ranorex has discovered a bug in your application that you should look into ;)

If you know exactly when the partially-painted dialog will appear, then you can try some tricks like disabling the Ranorex plug-in that is interacting with that dialog in code and trying to kill the dialogue with mouse (image based)/keyboard actions or in code. These workarounds have to be implemented in code and it depends very much on your AUT as to what exactly that code will be like. If my suggestions don't make perfect sense to you, then it would be better if you connect with Ranorex Support on this issue via the support query: RxSupport

You should straight send them snapshots and screenshots and everything you think could be useful to avoid ping-pong.

Regards,
McTurtle

KenBobPDX

Post by KenBobPDX » Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:08 pm

Hello McTurtle,

Thanks for the response. LumberTrack works fine when I run it outside of the Ranorex, so I'm not sure it's a bug in LumberTrack. It's odd because Ranorex was able to record the session and the dialog box came up just fine during recording, so I'm not sure what the problem might be, but it's definitely an interaction between Ranorex and the AUT.

I'll open a ticket with them. Thanks.

Here's a link to a YouTube video I created that shows the problem. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CpKM2t7s3A

Ken

McTurtle

Post by McTurtle » Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:42 pm

Hello Ken,

This in the video looks like it could be caused by Ranorex. What happens if you disable the "start application" step in Ranorex, start your application manually and then let Ranorex perform the automation? Sometimes the behavior changes then. If this is the case, then it often helps to make a desktop shortcut and start the application by having Ranorex double-click on the shortcut instead of using the "run application" action.

Regards,
McTurtle

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Post by odklizec » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:03 am

Hi,

Go to Ranorex settings and try to uncheck Use UiaLauncher... option.
UiaLauncher.png
UiaLauncher.png (15.4 KiB) Viewed 47 times
Pavel Kudrys
Ranorex explorer at Descartes Systems

Please add these details to your questions:
  • Ranorex Snapshot. Learn how to create one >here<
  • Ranorex xPath of problematic element(s)
  • Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration