Testing the website in Safari on iOS with Ranorex 7.2

Mobile Testing, Android App Testing.
an_snust

Testing the website in Safari on iOS with Ranorex 7.2

Post by an_snust » Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:49 pm

Hello,
I am using Ranorex 7.2 and trying to test a website in Safari on iOS (because following the release note, Ranorex 7.2 supports this feature). I tried to do this in Chrome on Android by using the Appium Webdriver, and it worked well. So I think I can do the similar thing with iOS, but when I can not create a simple record in Safari on Desktop before running on iOS. I just want to make sure that whether Ranorex 7.2 support this feature or not? If yes, could anyone give me any guide for doing my test?

asdf

Re: Testing the website in Safari on iOS with Ranorex 7.2

Post by asdf » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:06 am

Hi An_snust,

In order to test the native browsers in iOS, you will have to use Appium on your Mac.
Please take a look at the Appium site, in order to get started with iOS and Appium.

Hope that helps.

jsmith

Post by jsmith » Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:32 am

Hello An_snust,
Did you achieve this in the end? Right now I am trying to do exactly the same thing but am very stuck. Any advice you can offer would be much appreciated.

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Post by odklizec » Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:40 am

Hi,

Webriver/Appium is the only way how to run tests on iOS Safari browser. There is no way to run tests on real device and Safari browser, because of iOS security restriction, preventing 3rd party apps to access other apps.
Pavel Kudrys
Ranorex explorer at Descartes Systems

Please add these details to your questions:
  • Ranorex Snapshot. Learn how to create one >here<
  • Ranorex xPath of problematic element(s)
  • Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration

jsmith

Post by jsmith » Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:49 am

Hello odklizec,
It is the Appium-on-mac to real device that I am trying to set up at the moment :(
It is my first experience with any apple devices, and so far I am not having fun. I have had commands not found, installed programs suddenly not there. I have used brew, and npm, then found one or both or either suddenly does not exist. I have been using terminal for days, trying the Appium Getting Started instructions. It feels very much like one step forward after ten sideways, then you move on to the next step and find yourself two steps back.
From Ranorex's home page:
Ranorex Studio empowers testers with a complete toolset for end-to-end testing of desktop, web and mobile applications in a single license. Automate tests on a Windows desktop, and then execute them locally or remotely, on real iOS or Android mobile devices or on simulators/emulators.

I have reached out for support from Ranorex. Their reply was pretty much that I needed to get the mac side of things working myself, which was of course, what I was doing in the first place. Hence the desperate look back through the forum........