Testing Web pages on Mobile devices and PCs simultaneously

Ask general questions here.
manish

Testing Web pages on Mobile devices and PCs simultaneously

Post by manish » Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:46 pm

Hello Everyone,

I have been testing a web application on my workstation for quite sometime now. Recently, I got to know that I need to test the same web application on mobile devices such as tablets and mobile phones. I have already worked on automation of mobile apps but have never done this kind of parallel testing on PCs and mobiles
I would really like your opinion on how to make it possible for the same codebase to run on both these platforms?
Would the same solution, after let's say tweaking the code a bit, work parallely or would it be better to create a new solution (which I personally would'nt want to do)?

Thank you
Manish

odklizec
Ranorex Guru
Ranorex Guru

Re: Testing Web pages on Mobile devices and PCs simultaneously

Post by odklizec » Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:39 am

Hi,

I seriously doubt that you will be able to use the same tests/repository for desktop and mobile web tests. Typically, mobile webs are optimized for smaller screens, therefore, many controls are either removed from the mobile web page or coded differently? However, if your tested web looks the same both on desktop and mobile browser, it may be possible to run the same test on both devices. The only problem is, that on mobile devices, you will have to use RxBrowser. Native mobile browsers are not supported by Ranorex, due to Android/iOS security limitations (mobile browsers cannot be instrumented by Rx). The only way how to test webs with native mobile browsers is via Appium and Ranorex Webdriver integration. Check these articles...
https://www.ranorex.com/help/latest/web ... -endpoint/
https://www.ranorex.com/forum/how-to-te ... 14528.html
Pavel Kudrys
Ranorex explorer at Descartes Systems

Please add these details to your questions:
  • Ranorex Snapshot. Learn how to create one >here<
  • Ranorex xPath of problematic element(s)
  • Ranorex version
  • OS version
  • HW configuration