Text Validation - use of wildcard or truncation?

Ranorex Spy, Recorder, and Studio.
jhance

Text Validation - use of wildcard or truncation?

Post by jhance » Fri May 29, 2009 7:19 pm

Hi All -

I have an application which creates orders based on customer demand for a given quantity on a given date. I want to be able to perform a few different validations, using a test dataset. I can successfully control all elements of the dataset, except the date I run the test, which obviously changes with each day.

Currently, I am validating on a text string, within the confirmation dialog that comes up when the user tries to place the order. That dialog says:

-------------------------------
Would you like to accept the recommended order for part 'C'?

Quantity: 298
Priority: Critical
Reorder Date: 5/21/2009
---------------------------------

I selected to validate against a caption, which came up with:

text[@caption~'^Would\ you\ like\ to\ accept\ ']

However, it still looks for the entire contents of the dialog, including the date. What I would like is to validate against a string, followed by some kind of wildcard, such as:

text[@caption~'^Would\ you\ like\ to\ accept... Date:* ']

Where anything before the "*" would have to pass validation, but whatever happens after the "*" is excluded from the validation.

Is this possible, and what are the exact steps to set this up.
Thank you SO much, in advance!

Ciege
Ranorex Guru

Post by Ciege » Fri May 29, 2009 8:32 pm

I can suggest one method. It would be to read the entire caption into a string and then remove the time/date stamp with a regular expression. Once the time/date is removed you can compare your results with anything you need.

What language are you writing in? If C# I can give you an example of a regular expression the removes time and/or date stamps from a string.

jhance

Thanks for the reply

Post by jhance » Fri May 29, 2009 11:31 pm

We're using Vb, but I expect your advice still holds. If you have the syntax, that would be great. Otherwise, I'll bounce it off one of our developers.

Thanks again!
Jon

Ciege
Ranorex Guru

Post by Ciege » Fri May 29, 2009 11:38 pm

I have a few different patterns that I verify against since time and date formats can vary widely. Regardless, here is a snippet of what I use.
You should be able to extrapolate the rest based on this snippet. If not let me know and I will post more.

Good luck!

Code: Select all

string strDatePattern1 = "\\d{1,2}(\\-|\\/|\\.)\\d{1,2}\\1\\d{2,4}";
string strDatePattern2 = "(Monday|Tuesday|Wednesday|Thursday|Friday),\\s(Jan|Feb|Mar|Apr|May|Jun|July|Aug|Sep|Oct|Nov|Dec)\\s\\d{1,2}, \\d{2,4}";
string strDatePattern3 = "\\d{1,2}\\-(Jan|Feb|Mar|Apr|May|Jun|July|Aug|Sep|Oct|Nov|Dec)\\-\\d{2,4}";
string strDatePattern4 = "(0[0-9]|1[0-2])([0-2][0-9]|30|31)([0-1][0-9])";
string strTimePattern1 = "\\d{1,2}:\\d{1,2}:\\d{1,2}(AM|PM)";
string strTimePattern2 = "([0-1][0-9]|2[0-3]):([0-5][0-9])";

if (Regex.IsMatch(file2line, strDatePattern1) | Regex.IsMatch(file2line, strDatePattern2) |
    Regex.IsMatch(file2line, strDatePattern3) | Regex.IsMatch(file2line, strDatePattern4) |
    Regex.IsMatch(file2line, strTimePattern1) | Regex.IsMatch(file2line, strTimePattern2))
{
  if (Regex.IsMatch(file2line, strTimePattern1))
  {
    file1line = Regex.Replace(file1line, strTimePattern1, "[IGNORED TIME]");
    file2line = Regex.Replace(file2line, strTimePattern1, "[IGNORED TIME]");
  }
  else if (Regex.IsMatch(file2line, strTimePattern2))
  {
    file1line = Regex.Replace(file1line, strTimePattern2, "[IGNORED TIME]");
    file2line = Regex.Replace(file2line, strTimePattern2, "[IGNORED TIME]");
  }
}

jhance

Thank you!!

Post by jhance » Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:52 pm

Ciege, thanks so much for the info and snippets. I'll see if I can incorporate them into my scripts, and see where that takes me. Thanks again for the help!

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Support Team » Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:24 pm

Ciege's patterns are very accurate for checking date/time strings. However, if you just need a wildcard in regular expression, you can use ".", which matches any character (except newline), followed by a quantifier. E.g. ".*" matches zero or more characters, ".{5}" matches exactly 5 characters.
In your case you could search for a Text element using the following regular expression:

Code: Select all

text[@caption~'^Would\ you\ like\ to\ accept... Date:.*']
Regards,
Alex
Ranorex Support Team