Timeout Factor

Ranorex Spy, Recorder, and Studio.
DeimosII

Timeout Factor

Post by DeimosII » Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:39 am

Hi,

I noticed that Ranorex automatically sets a timeout of 60 seconds to any steps that involve clicking on a UI element. I had a few questions regarding this timeout:

1) Is the timeout factor in Settings the only way to set this time limit?
2) Is it possible to somehow disable the timeout or set it to run longer than 60 seconds?

Support Team
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Timeout Factor

Post by Support Team » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:03 pm

Hello DeimosII,

Thank you for posting your question in the Ranorex forums.

The default timeout for any repository object is 30 seconds. This is known as the "Search Timeout" for the object.

You may also notice the "Effective Timeout" in the properties of a repository object might be much more than 30 seconds. This is the timeout for the parent objects plus the Search Timeout applied to the object.

If I have a web page as my parent object in my repository, a container object below that, and a button object inside the container, then the effective timeout for my object will be 1.5 minutes. 30 seconds for the parent, 30 seconds for the container, and 30 seconds for the button.

If I wanted the effective timeout to be only 75 seconds to find the child object, then I must first select the parent and change the search timeout on the parent to 15 seconds, then select the container object, and change its search timeout to 15 seconds (making effective timeout for container 30 seconds), and then I will select the button object and change the search timeout to 15 seconds, which will make the total 75 seconds effective timeout for the button.

Here is one of the locations we discuss timeouts in our user guide:

Code: Select all

https://www.ranorex.com/support/user-guide-20/lesson-6-ui-mapping-with-ranorex-repository/waiting-for-ui-elements-repository-timeouts.html 
I hope this information is helpful to you, and I look forward to your response.

Sincerely,

-- M. Kendall McIntosh
Automation Support Engineer